• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Backing up large files on a PPC

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

I anticipate aquiring a Power PC soon and I haven't been able to locate a CD with an older version of Netscape Navigator on it. I am wondering if there is a way to backup the copy that is installed on the PPC's hard drive. It's larger than a 1.44 Megabyte floppy. I think this machine has System Seven on it.

Any help greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Sean

Actually, it's 8.1US, just in case that requires getting a different version of Navigator

Druid,

I have plans to try to install System 9.1 on the PPC. But the amazing thing is that, for this computer, finding ancilliary items on eBay is like going to the supermarket - you just put in what you want and it shows up. So I can go back down to 8.1 if 9 doesn't work out. Or, at the least, 7.5 and use Netscape to browse limited numbers of webpages.

Sean

Yeah, I had to dig up an old copy of Disk Copy 6.1.2 to install a disk image while testing the machine today (left it on there), because 6.4 needs 8.5 to run.

After running 100MB zip cartridges over to it (I have a ATAPI Zip100 in my modern computer and hooked a Zip100Plus up to the SCSI port on the PPC) all day, I find a utility folder on the PPC stuffed with diagnostic software.

Some days I hate working on Vintage stuff LOL

Last edited:
StuffIT can compress files splitting in many parts. I used it (and it was perfect!) in my Mac LC under System 7.0.1 and 7.5.5. I suppose works also in newer sistems (PPC should emulate 68k...). Btw, by mistake I erased it :( SOB!

If you want to try different MacOS versions, you can download freely MacOS 7.5.3 and upgrade to 7.5.5 from apple's website.
Bye!
Daniele

StuffIT can compress files splitting in many parts. I used it (and it was perfect!) in my Mac LC under System 7.0.1 and 7.5.5. I suppose works also in newer sistems (PPC should emulate 68k...). Btw, by mistake I erased it :( SOB!

If you want to try different MacOS versions, you can download freely MacOS 7.5.3 and upgrade to 7.5.5 from apple's website.
Bye!
Daniele

Daniele,

Your English was good enough to fool me. I suppose that your tower hasn't fallen over yet.

Was that program by any chance called "Stuffit Expander"? I have a memory of that name.

I'll bet you could get another copy off of eBay. I know there is a plethora (lots) of vintage Mac items on the U.S.'s eBay (www.ebay.com) Many sellers are willing to ship internationally, but you might need to set up a Paypal account to pay them.

Sean

Back