• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Basic programming - which language or platform?

RickNel

Veteran Member
I need to build a simple converter to do some simple arithmetic, string and file manipulations to align two datasets for comparison and graphing. I've used MBasic and QBasic for this sort of thing decades ago, and used spreadsheets and databases for some overlapping tasks.

The job is: I have a solar PV generating system and a domestic power usage monitor system. The generator system's inverter exports daily output records in CSV, with samples in kW every five minutes, but the power usage monitor exports daily CSV usage records with kWH consumption records for every hour.

The options with least learning-curve for me seem to be:

1. a) Qbasic with a series of loops to open each daily file, average the 5-min records to kWH and sum each set of 12 to synthesize an hourly kWH, then write out new CSV.

b) Match those synthesized ouput records to format of usage records in Excel or LibreOffice spreadsheet, for hourly comparison.

2. Try to do it all in massive spreadsheet with macros.

I'm a bit concerned that the dataset will become too large for practical spreadsheet use (<100k input records per year!).

Interested in any recommendations on how you would approach this, what programming tools would suit (bearing in mind my amateur status) or if there is some open-source software already out there that could achieve what I need.

I'm open to database options as well, though less experienced in front ends there.

Rick

Back