• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bell and Howell Ebay Auction with Stencil - Clean off or Keep?

billdeg

Technician
There's a Bell and Howell Apple II for sale here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Bell-Howell-APPLE-II-Computer-BLACK/372338255727

It has a stencil from the previous owner on it. If you the Apple collector were to buy this, will you clean off the stencil or keep it?

Believe it or not, despite my wish to preserve an item's history, I think I might be tempted to remove the stencil, mostly because it's not historic (enough) and the stencil will take away from the $ value. This is especially true because the Bell and Howell Apple II's are collectors items more so than historic items, "they're black!"....thus the reason for buying this is to add to an Apple collection more so than put in a museum. There is nothing special about these other than the fact that they're black/OEM Apple II's.

Bill

They are special to me because I like collecting vintage computers in education. I would clean off the paint if it can be taken off without harming the black paint underneath. Even if you were to clean it all up, there still would be engraving just above the keyboard, which is a shame, but it happens in schools. Like you, I keep significant labels historically but I also keep ivy league school labels because I am in higher ed.

I'd personally probably leave it. I don't mind stuff being marked with its previous owner's information.

if the price doesnt go up much id say go for it. I never expect to come across one of these for a reasonable price.

I would leave the stencil but would absolutely remove those tatty stickers & residue on the front - huge pet peeve. :p

What is that sound mixer thing on the back? Never seen that before. Looks like it has some interesting upgrades fitted.

If it comes off with Dawn and water, I'd remove it. But I doubt that's the case, and then I'd just leave it. The stickers have to go though.

Stenciled paint doesn't bother me much. The ones which I have that came from schools are all branded (as in melted with a branding iron) which does bother me, but I don't try to change it.

I would leave the stencil but would absolutely remove those tatty stickers & residue on the front - huge pet peeve. :p

What is that sound mixer thing on the back? Never seen that before. Looks like it has some interesting upgrades fitted.

xjas, they were sold as multimedia (before the term multimedia existed) computers, so that was the appeal of the bell and howell.

I've removed a painted stencil from an Mac 512k using electronic circuit board cleaner (hexane) and gentle rubbing with a rag. It did not affect the plastic in any way; actually it made it a lot cleaner. It's slow, almost a glacial pace, but it does work and I can't even tell where the paint used to be.

You need to test an inconspicuous area first to make sure the hexane won't dissolve it. I can't speak for whatever dye/plastic that B&H used.

I've removed a painted stencil from an Mac 512k using electronic circuit board cleaner (hexane) and gentle rubbing with a rag. It did not affect the plastic in any way; actually it made it a lot cleaner. It's slow, almost a glacial pace, but it does work and I can't even tell where the paint used to be.

You need to test an inconspicuous area first to make sure the hexane won't dissolve it. I can't speak for whatever dye/plastic that B&H used.

Mac cases were molded in colour plastic. B&H cases were painted and textured. Paint remover you use will probably also damage the black paint underneath, it's probably better to just leave it.

I'm not surprised at all. There's a CybervisionPPC that's going for over $500. For that price I'm considering selling mine and buying something different. But with my luck mine would only sell for $50.

I'm not surprised at all. There's a CybervisionPPC that's going for over $500. For that price I'm considering selling mine and buying something different. But with my luck mine would only sell for $50.

Dont you hate it when that happens?

Back