• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bench Test Delta Electronics PSU (DPS-150GB B) for PM6500

Swabbie

Trying to figure out which two pins to bridge to get the PSU to turn on so I can check output voltages. (If you can point me to a whole pin out even better!). As I’m sure you all know, for more modern PSU’s you simply bridge the green wire to a black (GND). There’s no green wire on this PSU. Only Black, Red, Orange and Blue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 81FE0999-2BF3-460C-A110-24C6D52CC972.jpeg
    81FE0999-2BF3-460C-A110-24C6D52CC972.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 8
Suggest that this PS is intended for a Apple device, not (as you appear to be assuming) a PC. There's a Apple PN and "+5V TRKL" line. You may be more successful asking an explicitly Mac audience.

Suggest that this PS is intended for a Apple device, not (as you appear to be assuming) a PC. There's a Apple PN and "+5V TRKL" line. You may be more successful asking an explicitly Mac audience.
Oh no I def know it’s for a Mac. It’s a PM6500. I have the same question over at r/VintageApple. So far no answer.

Last edited:
You need to find where the PFW/ signal is

well, this turns out to be not a whole lot of fun. the 6500 power supply isn't like any other mac supply
i've ever seen with that .1" connector. I'm guessing it plugs into the front panel somehow, and the trickle
power and pfw/ are probably on it. normally, pfw/ comes out of cuda and it goes high to turn the power
supply on powered by trickle power. It looks like there is just +5/12 and -12 on the molex connector

Last edited:
Agreed. The more I try to find info on this PSU the more I’m seeing it’s a one off.

Still haven’t figured out how to do a bench turn on. I did manage to get readings off the main 14 pin connector by shoving skinny leads into the back openings of the plug.

Everything looked normal with that EXCEPT no negative voltages. No -5 or -12 anywhere. Even the front case says there should be a low amperage -12v on it.

What sort of problems could that cause if -12 is +12?

Despite this missing -12v I did manage to get video working for a bit — then video just went black.

I haven’t retested the PSU voltages to see if anything has changed.

To mitigate tried installing a known good generic ATI rage video card in a PCI slot. I get a chime, grey screen then wallpaper screen then it freezes. I’m guessing I need to get a driver installed but can’t obviously since it freezes up. Maybe move the IDE HDD to my G3 B&W and somehow write a driver to the macos?

Idk. I’m wide open for other suggestions on things to try.

Maybe I have (a) blown cap(s) in the video section of the logic board? How do I even check those?

So many questions.

The 6500 mini-tower was an odd beast. I sat in the cube next to Doug, the guy that designed it.
It was a one-man project.
It's case was called "Hacksaw". This was when all of the consumer designs were in the all-in-one
case.

Back