• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best available CF-Controller for Olivetti M24

lucasM24

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a CompactFlash-Controller to rejuvenate my Olivetti M24 and need your input.
First I want to thank everyone involved in developing XT-IDE solutions, the BIOS, the boards! Really great work!!!

I have found four products which are currently available and seem feasible to me (listed below) and ask for your suggestions / thoughts etc.

A Lo-tech ISA XT CF Adapter rev. 3
B Lo-tech XT-CF-lite rev.2
C ISA CompactFlash Adapter XT-IDE for 8-Bit PC, XT CF LITE 4.1, XTIDE Bootable
D XT-IDE Deluxe - Bootable ISA CF+IDE Interface Card

This table lists my preferences:

A​
B​
C​
D​
Completely soldered?​
1​
1​
1​
1​
DIP/DIL-28 socket?
0​
0​
1​
1​
CF socket?​
0​
1​
1​
1​
Full IDE support?​
0​
0​
0​
1​
IDE connector?​
1​
0​
0​
1​
No jumpers?​
0​
0​
1​
1​
Through Hole mounting?​
1​
0​
1​
0​
Bracket included?​
-1​
0​
0​
1​
Sum

Now I've got the following questions:

1. Beside the features I listed in above table, are there any other differences?

2. Any suggestions regarding M24 compatibility (beside configuring XUB correctly)?

3. Do I understand right, that I can write the latest Olivetti M24-BIOS to blank *ROMs using the boards with DIP/DIL-28?

4. Can I also use the boards with DIP/DIL-32 to write the *ROMs if I provide the correct cabling?

5. Can I use larger CF-Cards – like 64 GiB – or whatever is available – if the partitions are small enough?
The smallest SanDisk broadly available here is the Extreme R120/W60 CompactFlash Card 32GB (SDCFXSB-032G-G46 / SDCFXS-032G-X46).

6. Which *ROMs shall I acquire? According to the »Theory of Operation«-Manual by Olivetti, it currently uses two 2764A EPROMs. I'd prefer EEPROMs, since I do not have a suitable UV-Lamp.

7. Why are »B« and »C« named »Lite«? What are these missing?

Thank you very much!!!

Lucas.

PS:
Sorry for this long post!

I always use the XT-IDE Deluxe for my XT/AT computers as it just works every single time - It works in all my Olivetti M24 / M24SP / M240 / M28 / M280 / M380
If I have a "newer" computer with building IDE I just use the IDE 40/44 pin to Compact Flash COnverter from Delock

My Retro YouTube channel

Welcome to the forum @TiBos Retro Computers ! I really enjoy your Olivetti restoration videos, especially since their internal design, with the passive backplane and interesting power supply connection, are quite different than the typical IBM clone.

You might want to start a new thread and introduce yourself, for those who aren’t familiar with your work.

- Alex

Hi Alex and thank you very much for your kind words

I'm all new to forums and it's just a tiny bit overwhelming all of it (The above post was my first forum post :) )

Back