• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best (non-sierra) games for the Tandy 1000

The TX was more zippy. I liked it.

The TX is one of my favorite Tandy models, which is why I have 3 of them. The extra speed was just enough to counter the extra 16K of video ram (32K total) games had to sling around. Action games were just fast enough to be enjoyable, as you found out.

My favorite games to play on a TX are: Outrun, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Interphase, and especially Indianapolis 500 (it uses the 160x200 mode so you get a 16K graphics mode *and* 286 speed, and it just screams).

But I also ran Ikari Warriors on a 286, so I attributed the performance bump to the fact the video logic was integral to the Mobo. Don't know. Or maybe much of the video logic is on comparably few packages. Again don't know.

Tandy 320x200 16-color video and EGA are arranged differently under the hood, and EGA is slower to update, all else being equal. So if the EGA routines weren't optimized very well for EGA's planar hardware assist functions, then that would explains why the TX felt snappier.

The list of Tandy/PCJr compatible games is posted in many places on the internet. I would start there if you're looking for games for a Tandy 1000.

This post got me thinking. I recently revamped a PCJR with a JR-IDE board and a NEC V20 cpu. Sierra games were really the only choice and they made the most games that ran on the PCJR. There are a few stragglers but sadly sierra is where its at.

I always enjoyed the Sierra games, but also those such as GATO, Chuck Yeager's AFT, and the various Infocom text adventures. All played reasonably well on my 1000HX when it was new.

Back