• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BIOTEQ AM386DX 40MHz motherboard woes

dkedrowitsch

Experienced Member
I've had this motherboard for years and it worked perfectly when I got it. Unfortunately I never got around to building a system with it until trying this week, but to my disappointment it's now dead as a door-nail.

It's one of those neat little boards about the size of a CD-ROM drive, with 6 ISA slots and a newer looking 486 style chipset. It also has 256K of cache on board, which is huge for a 386. The system clock is jumper selectable for 33Mz or 40MHz, and the board uses a clock generator rather then being fixed to a single frequency with a traditional oscillator.

The battery did leak and did a little bit of damage but not as bad as I usually see...just a little discoloration of some of the traces and via around the battery. A few years ago I removed the battery to keep it from getting any worse and the board still worked fine at the time. Today I checked all of the traces and vias around the battery area and everything checks out OK. Some of the vias were iffy looking but a strand of wire pushed through and soldered on either side made sure they're fine.

Upon powering up I get no beep from the speaker with or without RAM or a video board installed.

Neither the BIOS ROM or Keyboard 8042 ICs were socketed, so I removed them and added sockets to easier troubleshoot. The BIOS and 8042 tested good in another 386 board. For good measure I programmed an eprom with an AMIBIOS 386 binary and tried a different 8042 chip but no change. I also tried a different set of cache chips as well as leaving them out altogether. Same thing, no beep, no video...nothing.

I reflowed the TQFP chipset ICs with a little flux and my hot-air station to make sure there were no contact problems there, but that hasn't helped either.

I've verified the system clock generator produces 80MHz (66.6 when motherboard jumpered for 33MHz) and I do see the ISA clock signal on ISA bus pin B20, but it's not the right frequency. I should see an 8.3MHz clock signal there but instead I see 6.6MHz when the board is jumpered for 40MHz sysclock, and 5.5MHz when jumpered for 33MHz sysclock. Is this normal? An older Micronics 386 board I just tested has a 8.3MHz ISA clock signal like I would expect, so this little board is acting weird to me.

When watching some of the address and data lines on the ISA bus with my scope I do see signs of life for a second or two on power-up, but then nothing. I wish I had a logic analyzer...

I just ordered an ISA post diagnostic card to arrive, so once that comes hopefully I can use that to get an idea of where the post is hanging up. The problem must be early in the sequence since I never get anything from the speaker.

Anyway, I've probably spent way too much time on this already, but I'm determined to invest a little more before giving up. I looked on eBay to see if there are any other boards like it and there are, but as usual they're from "recyclers" and the prices are insane. :(

I'm attaching pictures of the ISA clock signals...they look pretty crummy even on my 100Mz probe but I think my probe just needs adjusting.

Assuming the funny ISA clock may be normal for this board, I figure either the CPU is bad, or one of the two chipset ICs is bad. I guess one of the ISA bus transceivers could also have gone bad, but I doubt that would cause even early post failure...I would still at least hear some beeping, right?

Any ideas or suggestions? Is the funky ISA clock speed normal for some boards, or should I investigate the source of that signal further?

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Last edited:
This is probably a silly question but... did you connect a battery since you disconnected the old battery?

No, I didn't. I've never had a board refuse to work without one, they just "forget" the CMOS data after being powered off.

An interesting thought though. I'll connect an external battery and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

There may be a jumper to change in order to switch the motherboard over to use the external battery connector.

Is there the possibility that when you cleaned the board of battery contents, some contents remained under certain components (e.g. ICs, keyboard connector) continuing to cause track damage?

I've verified the system clock generator produces 80MHz (66.6 when motherboard jumpered for 33MHz) and I do see the ISA clock signal on ISA bus pin B20, but it's not the right frequency. I should see an 8.3MHz clock signal there but instead I see 6.6MHz when the board is jumpered for 40MHz sysclock, and 5.5MHz when jumpered for 33MHz sysclock. Is this normal? An older Micronics 386 board I just tested has a 8.3MHz ISA clock signal like I would expect, so this little board is acting weird to me.
Some guesses:
* 6.6MHz/5.5MHz is the BIOS default on this motherboard (for better compatibility with early cards).
* Because of the failure, the initialisation code in ROM that reprograms clock dividers is not getting run.

SUCCESS!

It wasn't the lack of battery though. I put 3v DC on the battery contacts (don't have a plug-in lithium RTC battery) and it didn't make a difference.

This morning I did more probing around the area that had the battery leakage and noticed one of the vias through the board didn't have any signal on it where all the others did. It was part of a bundle of traces between the large chipset IC and the SIMM sockets, which then terminates to a resistor pack. It turns out one of the traces was broken right at the resistor network. I put a quick and dirty patch in place from under the board to make the needed connection and the board came back to life!

Apparently that chipset IC needs the circuit properly terminated or it won't/can't put a signal on there.

What a releif, I really like this little board it would have been a shame to loose it to a leaking battery.

Now I'll remove the terminating resistor pack and properly repair the battery damage beneath it. It should be 100% then.

And modem7, you were right, there is an option in the BIOS where you can set the ISA clock. It's a divide-by CPUCLK setting.

What a trooper of a board! I've spent days working on this thing, un-soldering the BIOS ROM and 8042 Keyboard chip to check them, then adding sockets to replace them, reflowing the TQFP chipset ICs without overheating them, probing around with my oscilloscope and multimeter, scraping and soldering questionable traces, probably power cycled 100 times, etc etc. It's one tough little cookie!

Back