• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Book 8088 discovery and modification thread

Thank You! If I understand correctly, when you reconnect internal LCD, it does not operate, just blinks when the external monitor is connected, while the external monitor operates perfectly. If you unplug at that moment the external monitor, will the internal LCD switch on? If that is a case, than after installation of your wire harness it will be very easy to use the book both with the internal and external monitors, just by plugging external monitor in? As soon as your wire harness is path through, it should be the case!

Thank You! If I understand correctly, when you reconnect internal LCD, it does not operate, just blinks when the external monitor is connected, while the external monitor operates perfectly. If you unplug at that moment the external monitor, will the internal LCD switch on? If that is a case, than after installation of your wire harness it will be very easy to use the book both with the internal and external monitors, just by plugging external monitor in? As soon as your wire harness is path through, it should be the case!

It's like that - no external display connnected, internal works as usual. External connected - internal somewhat disables itself, just blinks sometimes. VGA connector part will stick outside, so far i didn't get to mounting it inside.

I want to thank n0p for his great aid and work - he has installed external VGA port to my Book 8088, that was what I was trying to do for a long time, but could not. The external VGA port operates perfectly, I am attaching the photos. Moreover he upgraded the BIOS of my book 8088 to version 1.07. This forum is a very good one, you can find lots of information on the subject. Thank You again.

Attachments

• Book8088 connector.jpg
    Book8088 connector.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Book8088 ext vga.jpg
    Book8088 ext vga.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 16
I want to thank n0p for his great aid and work - he has installed external VGA port to my Book 8088, that was what I was trying to do for a long time, but could not. The external VGA port operates perfectly, I am attaching the photos. Moreover he upgraded the BIOS of my book 8088 to version 1.07. This forum is a very good one, you can find lots of information on the subject. Thank You again.

You're welcome!
--
Worth noting that on @Vitalii 's Book internal display stays on with external connected to my surprise.

Just got my V2 a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased to say everything worked as expected.
(no video issues or bad solder joints)
I'd like to add a thank you to Sergey, n0p and FreddyV for their excellent contributions.
Note to anybody out there with flash drive issues. Read the instruction that come with FreddyV's driver.
The last parameter in the config.sys entry should be %0 but the one shipped has it set to %2.
So I just renamed the file and installed the new one and had lots of write problems till I fixed that.
Now it's fine.
Here's a some more photos of the V2 boards
Hope to try the boot from floppy BIOS soon and maybe the external VGA connector.

Last edited:
Off topic - does anyone know where the break key is on the Book 8088 keyboard? I was playing with Turbo BASIC and could not stop a running program (Ctrl Break is supposed to stop a running program).

Also, I wanted to let you all know that I was able to connect the Book 8088 to the Internet and access a number of BBSs. I did it using the WiModem 232 Pro.

You will need a serial port adapter for the Book 8088:

The WiModem 232 Pro is powered via the Book 8088’s USB port. I used the DOS Navigator 1.51 Terminal program and was able to get the Book 8088 surfing at 56 kbps via telnet. I tried the following popular BBSs:

Last edited:
Possibly related to the LCD controller firmware? Or did you update that on his too?
I didn't check the LCD board, but firmware itself worked like "Good VGA" one (no centering issues)
--
Regarding the firmware - i've talked a lot to DZT. So far it appears that latest (Good VGA) fw is outsourced and they cannot provide source or modify it :(

I didn't check the LCD board, but firmware itself worked like "Good VGA" one (no centering issues)
--
Regarding the firmware - i've talked a lot to DZT. So far it appears that latest (Good VGA) fw is outsourced and they cannot provide source or modify it :(
Not surprised they outsourced it. Probably got over their own heads. lol

Can the USB port be modified via the BIOS to accept a floppy disk drive?

It cannot. It's tied directly to the CH375.

That might sound odd, and i'm sure that won't work out of the box, but i just viewed
- and it appears that at least device guy has *does* present itself as a USB storage device (he plugged it into Android phone). Making it work will sure require some file job on delays and wait functions, but there's a chance that might work with adjustments.
Yes, and CH375 chip may or may not recognize the device on it's side as well and power supplied via chip might be insufficient for floppy drive.
Simplest way to check would be plug the drive, wait for it to settle and try to access it via CH375USB driver (best would be to use FreddyV version) on disk D.

That might sound odd, and i'm sure that won't work out of the box, but i just viewed
- and it appears that at least device guy has *does* present itself as a USB storage device (he plugged it into Android phone). Making it work will sure require some file job on delays and wait functions, but there's a chance that might work with adjustments.
Yes, and CH375 chip may or may not recognize the device on it's side as well and power supplied via chip might be insufficient for floppy drive.
Simplest way to check would be plug the drive, wait for it to settle and try to access it via CH375USB driver (best would be to use FreddyV version) on disk D.
I tried to do that. After I connected a usb floppy drive to the usb port, the computer was trying for about four minutes to add it as disk D:, but later did not find it and booted to Norton. Moreover, the green LED on USB floppy drive never lighted.

Attachments

• usb floppy 01.jpg
    usb floppy 01.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 5
  • usb floppy 02.jpg
    usb floppy 02.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 5
  • usb floppy 03.jpg
    usb floppy 03.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: n0p
I tried to do that. After I connected a usb floppy drive to the usb port, the computer was trying for about four minutes to add it as disk D:, but later did not find it and booted to Norton. Moreover, the green LED on USB floppy drive never lighted.

That might mean it's not getting enough power. And the fact it was trying to detect the device is good. Using powered USB hub might do the trick.

Last edited:
Disregard that :( I've tried using USB hub and Book doesn't recognize connected devices at all. It would be interesting to try an active USB extender cable though.

Well, that's LGR (the guy, clint) and it's also probably acting like at OTG device, which is why an android phone wouldn't have a problem with it.

I also tried experimenting with my USB floppy drive and the Book 8008, but I could not get it to recognize my floppy drive. There is 6 kb of free space in the BIOS from what I have read that could be used to add code to enable the floppy. It would be fantastic if we could somehow get CH375 to recognize it.

There is a USB to ISA card... Would that work? Then you would have to get an ISA floppy disk drive - not exactly as practical as a USB floppy disk drive.

I also tried experimenting with my USB floppy drive and the Book 8008, but I could not get it to recognize my floppy drive. There is 6 kb of free space in the BIOS from what I have read that could be used to add code to enable the floppy. It would be fantastic if we could somehow get CH375 to recognize it.

There is a USB to ISA card... Would that work? Then you would have to get an ISA floppy disk drive - not exactly as practical as a USB floppy disk drive.

Just to clarify - what is wrong or unacceptable (instead of floppy seek sounds, which i personally do miss) with USB floppy emulation via USB stick / thumb drive i've already put into BIOS?

I am not familiar with this feature. I am just using the stock BIOS. How does your USB floppy emulation work?

Back