• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Boot from cd, NEC Versa 4050c laptop?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I love some old laptops but I don't have one that has built in speakers. I picked up this NEC Versa 4050c from ebay for a solid $25, including shipping. It came with this dockbar thing and both floppy and cdrom. The floppy doesnt work, not that I'm surprised. The cdrom does work. I can boot into Windows 95 (what came on it) and cdroms work. The thing I can't figure out is if it is possible to boot from this cdrom. The floppy drive pops out an the cdrom pops into the floppy spot. I have tried messing with a few bios options but there isn't any "boot order" type thing.

Does anyone know if there is a way to boot from the cdrom on this laptop? Kind of rough to do much without a bootable floppy or cd.

It did come with a pcmcia modem + ethernet adapter which is pretty cool. I can't wait to try that out. I have never tried a pcmcia ethernet adapter, the other modems I have were missing that adapter. I'll get a couple of cool pics up this weekend :)

Update: In the bios is a setting to boot from a dock. It says if you don't boot from the dock then it will boot from the internal hard drive or cdrom. This leads me to believe that it is possible.

Last edited:
False alarm! As I was sleeping last night it hit me, my modded PSX is real finicky about cdroms and burning speed and it's newer than this. So I burned a win95 iso to a cdrom at 4 speed and it works great, boots right off of it.

Back