• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Booti card not reading files from USB stick

acenewman

Experienced Member
I recently bought a second Booti card. Put it in an apple iie enhanced. Goes into the config screen as expected on power up but doesnt seem to see the .2mg files on the USB stick. Thought it might be an issue with the files or stick so I took the usb stick I have been using with great success with my first booti card and tried it with no luck. Anyone else run into this issue?? The one difference between the new booti card and the first one is that it has a 6 pin header as opposed to three pin. I am assuming it came jumpered properly??? Can't seem to find anything in any of the documentation that addresses the jumper settings in any way??? Any help is appreciated, thanks, Chris

Hi Chris

I had a similar issue with my Booti card when I got it - it wouldn't' read off a USB stick (I tried several to be sure). It turned out to be soldering on the USB card (a common but usually long term issue with the use of lead free solder), I used to work in a factory that did surface mount boards and they refused to use the stuff. Just resolder the board with a good leaded solder and hopefully the problem will go away ( I believe the board's creator David uses the same factory that makes the pcb's to mount the components) - lead free does work in a fashion but it is much harder to get the "recipe" right (temp, humidity, solder quality etc) in the soldering process .There is only one jumper on mine next to the P_S on the USB board. No documentation yet on that one. Otherwise contact David directly - he's very helpful and the product is great . Cheers John

After much testing I ultimately determined that it was the usb stick that was the problem. Chris Torrence was a great help and kind enough to send me a spare usb module as part of the trouble shooting. I did initially do some testing with two different usb sticks but they were both the same brand (Verbatim) and of similar age(4-5 years old). They both worked with one booti but not the other. After much trouble shooting of the cards themselves with the oscilloscope I eventually convinced myself there was nothing wrong with either card. So I circled back to the usb stick again and tried several newer usb sticks of different brands. All of the other usb sticks I tried worked just fine with both cards. So it would seem there may be some sensitivity to the usb stick used.

Can't say enough about the support from Chris. We spent quite a bit of time conversing over messenger about how to troubleshoot the cards.

Back