• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Building a 486 with modern parts (ATX case, ATX PSU, CF card, GOTEK FDD, New buttons)

philscomputerlab

Experienced Member
Video build log: Building a 486 with modern parts

So you want to build a 486? That's awesome! You can get yourself a ready to go 486, all authentic with that retro AT case and whizzing hard-drive, but as vintage parts fail, or become harder and more expensive to obtain, maybe you have thought of combining a 486 with more modern parts to save money, improve reliability, or have a machine that blends in with others, but under the hood retro goodness awaits you!

In this project we are building a 486 retro DOS PC but using modern parts such as:

ATX case
ATX power supply
CF card as HDD replacement
GOTEK floppy emulator as FDD replacement
New buttons for power and turbo

I did run into some roadblocks, but that's good, it means you will avoid these mistakes and have a smoother project! Specifically the replacements budgets turned out to be garbage and I didn't end up mounting them to the front of the case, but that is all explained in the video.

The case is a standard, cheap and nasty, ATX case from Aywun:

ZR4AFsDl.jpg

I'm using this ATX to AT adapter:

Z3ayJRPl.jpg

CF card reader:

WIOeDBJl.jpg

Floppy emulator:

4T8RpJwl.jpg

This is the type of button I used:

pQGD0cJm.jpg

The computer specifications:

Biostar MB8433-UUD motherboard
IntelDX4 100 MHz processor
8 MB of RAM
PCI S3 Trio 64 V+ graphics card
2 GB CF card
IDE optical drive,
Sound Blaster 16
World exclusive: the prototype of the DreamBlaster X1 General MIDI wavetable board
MS-DOS 6.22

Findings:

The build was quite straight forward. The trickiest part is the new power and turbo buttons, I found some alternatives since producing this video:

You can use a 5.25" to 2.5" adapter and it has some space on the sides. Ideal for mounting switches or buttons.

You can mount switches or buttons onto spare slot covers. Just means you need to reach around the computer to turn it on/off or use the turbo feature.

I just skimmed the video...

Did you get the blank ATX plate and cut the keyboard/mouse openings? Back in the day, I actually remember an AOpen case model that was available in either AT or ATX. The AT version had a port plate with one keyboard hole in it, then an AT power supply with manual switch rather than ATX/soft switch in the front.

What about the CPU fan? The DX4/100 really should have one...unless I missed that part. :)

Neat build...thanks for sharing!

Wesley

No I didn't. Lack of tools is one reason, refusing to pay $20+ for an IO shield another. Others have told me I should be using a cooler as well. I actually don't have one that fits.

Yeah, I don't blame you...probably OK without the IO shield in place. That's a concern with aging 486's and such...fans are going to be becoming a problem. I guess not so much the fan as the heatsink...any fan could be made to work. I know some of those I installed back in the day were just plastic fingers that gripped the side of the chip by friction...have found at least one of those in my stash broken and laying loose in the case... :-(

Wesley

No I didn't. Lack of tools is one reason, refusing to pay $20+ for an IO shield another. Others have told me I should be using a cooler as well. I actually don't have one that fits.

You need a heatsink on a 486-100. It isn't optional. You can do without the fan if you have a decent sized sink.

I still think you should go with 16 MB of RAM but whatever

I hear you. What cooling solution are people using on their 486 machines? I've got an overdrive IntelDX4 as well, that one has a cooler mounted. With the RAM, look I pulled the board out of storage, didn't really think about it. The main focus of this video was really how to mix it with modern parts. You're right, when using it properly I would very likely go with 16 or 32 MB :)

You can still get 486 fan/heatsink combos from various places on the internet.

Frys, Newegg and Amazon all have at least one product in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/IEC-486-CPU-Cooling-Fan/dp/B003U48PSC

Fleabay also has tons of them.

As to whether they're reliable or not is questionable at best. I don't think I've ever had one of those tiny fans last more than a few months without the bearing burning out.

I did a socket 3 486 build last year and used a 45mm x 43mm x 25mm aluminum heat sink from frozencpu.com. It's the perfect size for a 486. Combined with an appropriate fan and some 3M thermally conductive adhesive tape to stick it to the processor, it has worked great so far!

I did a socket 3 486 build last year and used a 45mm x 43mm x 25mm aluminum heat sink from frozencpu.com. It's the perfect size for a 486. Combined with an appropriate fan and some 3M thermally conductive adhesive tape to stick it to the processor, it has worked great so far!

Nice!

I did end up buying one from eBay. It comes with plastic clips to mount onto the processor and a fan ontop.

Nice!

I did end up buying one from eBay. It comes with plastic clips to mount onto the processor and a fan ontop.
>>
>>
I have a similar board as the one you used in your (btw very nice) video. Because I believe in the positive effects of optimized cooling I made a sort of bracket from 2.5x2.5 cm aluminium U-profile that is screwed to the outside of the floppy/hd bay and that holds a 5cmx5cm aluminium heatsink from some later socket in position on the cpu. It's a heatsink more or less like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Socket-7-Co...-Connector-AMD-Pentium-Socket-7-/261925767730

(you can also saw off the sides of a slot1 heatsink if you have a bunch of them lying around)

The advantage of that type of heatsink is that it is larger, it can carry a better fan, and the heat is dissipated in 4 directions instead of just 2 because the fins are serrated.
In the case you used for your video you can easily fabricate some bracket or 'holding device' that is screwed onto the backplate that supports the motherboard - either above or on the right of the cpu.

Cool idea!

The cooler arrived and it fits perfectly on the IntelDX4 :)

ahgNE6eh.jpg

They look kind of cool but I don't trust the tinyness of the 4 clamps much. This is a (rather experimental looking) fan that sat in my 468/66DX2 in 1993. I'm not sure if all pc's with that type of cpu were sold this way, though. (sorry for the quality, taken with my wife's smartphone)

http://imgur.com/T097qMi

Back