• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

C++

DOS-Master

Experienced Member
I am trying to learn C++ from a book but the book doesn't explain anything. can you guys give me some links to C++ tutorial online?

thanks,

Tim

I don't know of any online, but there may be some.

On the other hand, books on C and C++ are all over the place. Why not just head to the public library or bookstore and browse for a better book?

You can start with C if you find a better C book. Moving to C++ after C is much easier.

Another thing - practice is everything. Get a good C/C++ compiler. If you install Linux and get the developers tools you'll get the GNU toolchain, which is great.

A Google search on C++ tutorial gives me approximately 19.8 million hits, although only a small number of those will be accurate. Why not click on the ten first hits you get, and see for yourself if you understand what they try to teach? Do you have programming experience from any other language to compare to, or are you totally new to the subject?

I picked up a bok on how to learn C at borders. :eek:ha:

Ah, C, my favorite computer language! Extremely simple and easy to learn syntax, yet infinitely complex and powerful. I think I get more satisfaction out of writing a C program, than with any other language I know.

the Deitel book is good, albeit expensive (probably older editions are cheaperer). Their C book goes into C++ and Java later in the text (about only half is about strictly C). I recommend learning C first. A good gentle intro to C++ is the Idiot's guide (orange cover, you know). That one was alright. Herb Schildt is a good author, and wrote C the complete reference. I haven't plowed through much of it yet, but he does provide the source and explanations for a rudimentary C interpreter, nifty if you ask me. There happens to be a copy in a discount store near me, 7 or 8 bucks, but you might be able to find it cheaper on Amazon.

Deitel

Deitel

I had a class that used the Deitel book. Oddly enough, taught by one of the Deitels.

It may be a bit old-skool but I still love "the bible": http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/

at least for the C intro you should probably have before C++.

You could probably get one for $1US on half.com

I had a class that used the Deitel book. Oddly enough, taught by one of the Deitels.

It may be a bit old-skool but I still love "the bible": http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/

at least for the C intro you should probably have before C++.

You could probably get one for $1US on half.com

That's a great book, I have two copies: the "original" and the second edition. Personally, for learning C, I think you'd do well with either the Deitel & Deitel book, or one of the Sam's "Learn C Programming in 21 Days". Don't expect any more than the basics from the Sam's book though.

The basics of C are easy to pick up, the rest takes time and practice. One bit of wisdom I'll leave you with is: Pay particular attention during the chapter(s) on pointers. 99% of all the "cool" stuff you do in C is done with pointers.

After you finish your beginning C book, if you want to follow through any more, I'd recommend either "Algorithms in C" by Robert Sedgewick, or "Mastering Algorithms with C" by Kyle Loudon (O'Reilly Books). These books will help teach you the heart and soul of C: using pointers and structures to build linked lists, hash tables and other complex data structures.

Or you could just move along to C++, and have all of those given to you in the STL (Standard Template Library) :)

Back