• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Midwest C64 XUM-1541 aka Zoom Floppy Parts Kits now Available - $35.00/shipped

Covers: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio

WimWalther

Experienced Member
Delivery Options
In Country Shipping
I'm producing a small run of complete parts kits for the XUM-1541 II USB (PC & Mac) to CBM 1540, 1541, 1541-II, 1571, 1581 drive adapter. These kits also include the VIA (6522) adapter & cable for operating the 1540 / 1541 / 1541-II drives in parallel mode for even faster transfers.

Complete parts kits are $35.00, including shipping to the USA - No APO / FPO etc, please. Everything required to build the equipment seen in the photos is included.

Please contact me drlegendre at gmail for fastest response. I also have ONE prebuilt set available - inquire if interested. Thanks!

20230319_224131.jpg

20230319_223934.jpg

Two questions. Does this do Ieee 488 drives? And is the VIA adapter socket under the coiled ribbon cable for parallel transfers?

Two questions. Does this do Ieee 488 drives? And is the VIA adapter socket under the coiled ribbon cable for parallel transfers?
As I understand it, the XUM can be connected to an IEEE-488 drive, but you need an IEC to IEEE adapter. That said, if you have access to a 1541 (etc) drive, I believe you can make discs that can be read & written in an IEEE system.

Someone in the Commodore forum will have better info on this than I, but I believe the formats are compatible if not identical. The main advantage to the IEEE drives is that one drive can be connected to a whole roomful of machines as in a school setting.

And yes, the smaller module with the green board and 40pin socket / rainbow cable supports parallel transfer mode. Thing is, the XUM is already so much faster than copying discs & files with a stock C64 + 1541 it's almost a moot point.

And yes, the smaller module with the green board and 40pin socket / rainbow cable supports parallel transfer mode. Thing is, the XUM is already so much faster than copying discs & files with a stock C64 + 1541 it's almost a moot point.
Hah! You know I always wondered about that! I guess if you were using a parallel cable oldschool maybe you would notice the difference.

Hah! You know I always wondered about that! I guess if you were using a parallel cable oldschool maybe you would notice the difference.
A XUM-1541 in parallel mode is a bit more than 2X the speed in serial only mode. Altogether it takes about a minute, roughly, to read-in and write-out a standard .d64 image.

Back