• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Calling All Hands - Yamaha C1 Laptop Expansion Slot

Just received a C1 so adding my own interest here!

On a related note... Are there any C1 repair pros here? The screen on mine does not work and the Ext CRT light is permanently lit (regardless of DIP switch position). Works fine aside from this screen issue. I'd happily send to someone if there is a chance if repair!

We've got a couple of prototypes built and ready to go!
View attachment 51589

Super neat and tidy as always by Texelec :)

Anyone interested in helping get this board tested please pm me or TexElec directly.

There is a custom ROM BIOS to go with this board so the machine should be able to boot from any CompactFlash or HDD.

Really, really need someone with a working (enough) machine to test this board in!

@MVSR are you able to get an external screen or borrow one? Is it just VGA?

I have a C1, but mine stopped to work few years ago, due to a battery leak, and I had no time to fix it, and couldn't find the service manual.
This is awesome news, I'll try to find a manual and take a look on mine next weeks !
If someone have the service manual and want to share, it will be very appreciated !

Hi pearce_jj and sara (saw your message on oldschooldaw last night!)
How about would we do this? I'm situated in Iceland. (we should PM the details)

I also want to point out, for "history's sake" that you both document this modification very well and that you post all informative stuff you have on the Yamaha C1, I for one (was probably the only one on the planet) who had these SAPI and VAPI drivers for the C1, thank the gods I caught them in time from the now-defunct Turtle Beach website and made a backup of it as well! They are vital for the 8X MIDI Interface to work and the C1 also uses a modified Yamaha MSDOS.

Anyways, my model is the dual floppy drive one, would I need to remove either one of the drives?
In the past, I've downloaded apps on a modern Mac, formatted a floppy in the C1 and then transferred the app/files over from the Mac with a USB Toshiba Floppy drive to floppy disks. What is the best way to "back up" original MSDOS/PC floppies? i.e. how would I make these floppy .img files?
Those ("direct folders with .exe files and .bat" or .img?) would then all reside on a CF Card?

One extra question; would the C1 host controller slow down the transfer speeds or would it work faster? It certainly was a bit of a drag to wait for the floppy loading times (especially when switching windows inside Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold hehe)

Regarding Matt's/MVSR problem with the CRT/Ext Monitor DIP Switch, it seems to be a frequent problem on this exact machine, I've bumped into that problem myself but I'm going to have my C1 totally recapped, thoroughly cleaned and overhauled, I'll also look into the DIP switch to see where the problem could lay...

Thank you guys for keeping the C1 in mind, I think it might be the greatest sequencer "device" created my man! LOL

Roger Powell's Texture runs on it as well, which is a fairly unique program (made by a musician)
and I've also read that Dr. T's KCS Omega II was supposed to be ported specifically for the C1 as well! -I'm hoping I can find that one day.

@hageir thanks for posting!

The board can basically covert the FDD model to an HDD model. The factory 20MB HDD was fitted in place of the second FDD. If you can find somewhere to tuck an SD- or CompactFlash card on an IDE adapter and make the cabling work, it might be possible to keep both floppies.

Performance wise this should be much, much faster than the FDDs. The adapter is a full 16-bit IDE interface and will perform as such.

I've put up some draft documentation on my site wiki at: https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_Yamaha_C1_Music_Computer_IDE_Adapter I've included the service manual download and a step-by-step of how to install the adapter.

Please take a look at left me know.

@hageir thanks for posting!

The board can basically covert the FDD model to an HDD model. The factory 20MB HDD was fitted in place of the second FDD. If you can find somewhere to tuck an SD- or CompactFlash card on an IDE adapter and make the cabling work, it might be possible to keep both floppies.

Performance wise this should be much, much faster than the FDDs. The adapter is a full 16-bit IDE interface and will perform as such.

I've put up some draft documentation on my site wiki at: https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_Yamaha_C1_Music_Computer_IDE_Adapter I've included the service manual download and a step-by-step of how to install the adapter.

Please take a look at left me know.

Hey man! :)
I've read the documentation, excellent work. This is an amazing project.
It might be possible to fit this thing in the Expansion Bay (if there's nothing there)
I can also sacrifice a floppy drive for this, no problem. (I would just park it, I don't throw anything)

The only thing I'm "stressed" about (that's an overstatement) is the part where code is being injected into the BIOS and the System chips for the C1; I believe it won't affect the performance (on the music side) at all since it's... Well, the BIOS hehe and all I/O addressing is left alone (that's the strong side of this machine, the timing is pure and solid, because it's coming straight outta the CPU; hardwired baby!)

I'll do this. I have been working on/off for many years as an assistant to a synth repairman here in Iceland but I've never flashed ROMs before and I would also like to keep the stock Yamaha/IBM ROMs untouched.
Any chance I could pay your for the chips pre-flashed? If it's a possibility that is.

I'll send you a PM now so we can take this further!

-Geir Helgi

right on right on
glad to see my site helped facilitate this
btw
i still need another host card for my other mpu-401
and the metal pci brackets still need those too
hook a brother up?? ;)

So EXCITED to find this thread! I have a pair of Yamaha C1/20's that boot up just fine and have working FD drives. I also have many of the floppies that came with the machines and using the C1 boot disk I have successfully sequenced synths with Voyetra and Forte II, and there are several other demo disks in my stack.

I have reached out to TexElec to see about getting a prototype board. I would love to do anything I can to move this project forward because these C1's are too cool!

-sb

Nice to have you onboard sb and all the other contributors on this thread.

By way of general update: the boards are available to order from Texelec and the modified system BIOS is available for download from lo-tech or on programmed ROMs from Texelec.

I've patched in the Large AT build of XUB r600+* beginning at offset 4000h and ending at offset 67FFh. At offset 6800h I've changed the byte there from FFh to F9h to offset the change I did when extending the option ROM scan to segment F600h. The thing is, I can't find any code that checks for a valid checksum of the system BIOS so this might not be needed. The change I did to extend the option ROM scan is at offset 8D8Eh.

@Krille do you remember this? We now have a refreshed and working C1 for testing. We have also re-extracted the system ROMs and confirmed the validity of the first extracted (they are identical).

Current status is that the machine runs OK with the lo-tech board installed, but doesn't boot with the modified ROMs fitted. I'm wondering if perhaps I split them incorrectly for programming?

The ROMs are available for download from here: https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_Yamaha_C1_Music_Computer_IDE_Adapter

Any help greatly appreciated - I think we are now within touching distance of getting this running :)

Too wild. I pulled my C1 out yesterday to take another crack at it, I posted a thread about troubleshooting the mainboard and then I find this. pearce_jj, I am the guy who took the measurements and posted all the stuff online about the machine.

Mine is still stuck with the "external display" LED on. I don't think the system is executing code at all at this point.

I've kind of hit a wall with it. I guess the next step might be breaking out a ISA slot for a POST card or something.

Note - when I got mine, some of the capacitors were leaking and the electrolyte did make it through the board a bit. I had no problems replacing them all however.

If you have one, it probably needs to be re-capped.

Hello!

I picked up one of the boards from TexElec.

The Wiki is missing the bill of materials, I plan to put in a digikey order and want to populate this thing. I could write it all down but it would be useful if the official site had the info :)

Also, any progress on the BIOS on these? I got my C1 working but the HDD is flaky (not working more than working.)

Planning to assemble the C1 IDE interface tonight, and will cut a set of ROMs. I'm not great at the low level stuff, but might ask some friends to peek at it.

BTW, I'm Ethan -- the guy who posted the original BIOS dump and I also worked with James a bit on measurements for the PCB.

I am looking for the VAPI driver for Sequencer Plus Gold as well.

Someone else kindly gave me copies of the demo floppies that came with is his, you can download them (and the disks that I published including the docs with the pinouts for the 16 bit ISA slot and IDE header) at:
https://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/Software/Yamaha_C1_Laptop/

Back