• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can Battery Replacement Advice

VirusVox

Hello again, apologies for creating so many posts; I just happen to have a lot of questions!

I have been advised to seek a replacement for the can battery on my 386 as soon as possible. I have a friend with soldering equipment so we can easily get the job done, I just would like some advice on what I should replace it with. I have seen that there is a company that produce solder-on 2032 CMOS batteries, but they're intended for Amigas and I'm not sure if they're advisable for a non-Amiga PC. What's the general consensus on what I should replace the can battery with?

Thanks again!

I like to get a 3AA holder with a snap-on cover, and attach it to the outside of the rear of the case with double-sided tape. I solder a single pin header into each of the the two holes that the battery leads came out of on the motherboard, and then put female connectors on the battery holder leads (which usually require some extension wire, too), that will plug into said pins. Route them in from the outside somewhere. Then the batteries are on the *outside* of the case, so if they leak again hopefully all they'll mess up is some paint.

Also, if I am going to be storing something for a while, I usually turn it upside down so that if a battery or capacitor leaks, hopefully it will drip down onto the inside of the top of the case instead of onto the motherboard.

As long as the battery itself is a 2032 cell, any one should work fine.

If you want, you can solder in your own CR2032 battery holder, provided you already have or can find one that will fit.

Hello again, apologies for creating so many posts; I just happen to have a lot of questions!

I have been advised to seek a replacement for the can battery on my 386 as soon as possible. I have a friend with soldering equipment so we can easily get the job done, I just would like some advice on what I should replace it with. I have seen that there is a company that produce solder-on 2032 CMOS batteries, but they're intended for Amigas and I'm not sure if they're advisable for a non-Amiga PC. What's the general consensus on what I should replace the can battery with?

Thanks again!

Make sure it's not a rechargable Nicad battery, many were back then. I used to purchase rechargeable cells with tabs from Fedco Electronics up in WI. Search for Energy Plus batteries. On the laptop main batteries page you can click over to battery cells and there's many many types available.

2032 kits should have a diode so that they are not being charged like the old barrel batteries were.

Back