• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CDROM file names

fatwizard

Veteran Member
Hi all, I just got a cdrom drive working in one of my 2000HDs. I have had an Apple 300i SCSI for some time now, and finally got around to getting it operational in the Amiga using AmiCDROM software. I am using my Win7 PC to burn the disks, which is apparently the source of the problem (a lack of Joliet support on the Amiga). My question is, how have others overcome the Amiga truncating files names to 8.3?

It seems that none of the burner software I have supports Rockridge, and the Joliet extensions don't solve the problem. What burning software for Windows do you use, or can recommend to get the Rockridge support?

It seems that none of the burner software I have supports Rockridge, and the Joliet extensions don't solve the problem. What burning software for Windows do you use, or can recommend to get the Rockridge support?

Wiz: What version Windows are you using? Eons ago I used Nero before Windows had native support. Nero would allow you to setup most of your desired parameters.

Late edit:

FWIW department - Roxio is out there too, and I believe they took up from Adaptec which I used back in the NT days. I ruined a lot of CD's with Roxio for one reason or another. Lots of buffer overruns and such. It seemed like a crap shoot every time I needed to burn a disc. Nero's not perfect but a heck of a lot more proficient than Roxio for my money. Then again, there's probably a Roxio following out there that would swear by it.

Last edited:
The problem I have with using Linux is I don't currently have a Linux setup, and I need a "known" on one end of this endeavor. I am still learning the Amiga, so if I use an OS on the PC that is also unknown to me, then I would have a much harder time sorting out where my problems/mistakes are. I am currently trying this with my PC running Win7 X64 Pro. I haven't found much of a way to configure the built in burning support. I have tried Star Burn, and CD Burner XP. They both allow Joliet extensions, but it doesn't help with the filenames on the Amiga. Niether of those programs support Rockridge. My Amiga is not accelerated, so it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Amiga OS 3.9.

I have an older copy of Nero I can setup on an XP machine (I have plenty of those). I'll see what mischief I can cause with that.

Honestly a live linux boot USB stick is perfect for this. Something like Kubuntu will have k3b installed by default, and simply booting for that would be fine, and when you're done, just return to Windows as normal.

Honestly a live linux boot USB stick is perfect for this. Something like Kubuntu will have k3b installed by default, and simply booting for that would be fine, and when you're done, just return to Windows as normal.

evildragon, my hat is off, you hit this one out of the park. This was so easy even my crusty, rusty old self was able to put it together in about 30 mins. Now I have a quick and elegant means to write CD's to choke my Amiga with, and I would never have thought of it myself.

I have worked alone for many years now. Having a place for discourse, to ask a question, It's fantastic.

Thanks for all the reply's.

Try cdrecord and associated tools at https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrtools/ It's has Rock Ridge support.

A few of the apps state Rock Ridge support so others in the package should too:

mkisofs - A program to create hybrid ISO9660/Joliet/HFS filesystems with optional Rock Ridge attributes
isoinfo - A program to analyse/verify ISO/9660/Joliet/Rock-Ridge Filesystems

Found this app, Magic ISO Maker, looks like they have a free demo but purchase price is $29.95. Not sure if/when/who payment is required but it's settings has a checkbox for Rock Ridge filesystem support.

http://www.magiciso.com/index.htm

Update: Free/unregistered version of Magic ISO Maker can only save an image up to 300MB. Thus, if you need to create a larger image to burn, registration fee will have to be paid.

Last edited:
Back