• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CF PCMCIA card makes sound choppy

djyuran

Experienced Member
Hello!

I installed a CF PCMCIA adapter to my Compaq LTE 5300 laptop and it makes sound from internal sound blaster compatible card choppy.
Even in MS-DOS mode.

Is it normal?
How to fix it?

Is it breaking up with a card installed or even if the adapter is empty? Better or worse if reading from the card? I don't remember having that happen with the PCMCIA adapter I had but then that was 20+ years ago so my memory may be faulty.

Is it breaking up with a card installed or even if the adapter is empty? Better or worse if reading from the card? I don't remember having that happen with the PCMCIA adapter I had but then that was 20+ years ago so my memory may be faulty.
only when a card is installed
and it is getting worse when laptop is using the card

Waiting on a manual to download but I would suspect that the sound card is CPU driven and a Pentium 150 (IIRC) isn't enough to run both the CF adapter and the sound card.

Maybe there are updated drivers but the website I can find with drivers for LTE 5000 series lists most of the Softpaqs without descriptive text. Hard to point to a file to suggest trying without knowledge of what it will do. http://greyghost.mooo.com/lte5000/assorted-downloads.html if you have already been there, ignore the link.

A quick review of information suggests that some PCMCIA CF card readers take 100% of the CPU while reading or writing even with faster CPUs than you have. The ESS sound card was also a heavy CPU user. Maybe a driver update will cut down on the excessive polling when a card is plugged into the reader but not accessed. Playing music off the CF seems impossible as would any other simultaneous use of sound card and CF.

Back