• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chaintech, a semi-success story

DimensionDude

Experienced Member
I have a Chaintech 7NJL6 mobo that was removed from service because of flakey behavior. The previous owner is a bigtime gamer and it would lockup or crash during his games. Heat was suspected, but it would also do some other odd things.

Since it's more powerful than my main computer I thought I'd take a chance on it and bought a stick of ram (caught it on sale at Best Buy). I tried it out using a cpu fan and heatsink rated for the processor (AMD Athlon XP 3200+), at idle the cpu temp was about 125F and would quickly spike to 145F under any kind of load. Got all kinds of weird errors just trying to install software. Well, I have a heatsink and fan that I removed from my Athlon 1200 because it was just too noisy (fan runs 6500rpm). I polished the bottom of the heatsink with increasingly fine grades of sandpaper until it was very smooth. Put just the lightest touch of heat transfer compound on the cpu and installed. Seems to be working fine.

I'm posting with it and the cpu temp is showing 94F (ambient is about 75F). Ran a video rendering program and got a max temp of 130F. Sure, the cpu fan sounds like a small turbine engine, but it was nice to finish that video render in 35 minutes versus 2 hours.

I've read a lot of poor reviews of this particular board on the web so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So far I've got only the cost of the ram in it, if it turns out to be crap then I suppose I could find another board for the 3200 processor.

Kent

Back