• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Characteristics of the Oldest IBM PC/AT 5170s

IBM

Experienced Member
I recently managed to acquire two IBM 5170's that were due to be scrapped from a church. I opened them up for cleaning and restoration. In one, was a 1986 dated 8 MHz model that had a damaged and unusable motherboard. In the other was the oldest dated AT motherboard I have seen. The tag says July 1984, and the motherboard has two-part ISA slots rather than the later (not much later) one piece designs. Also, the 128k stacked RAM is different than the usual TI ZA1250NL. It is marked JAPAN HM48128P-2, which would seem to indicate 200 ns RAM. The RAM has a date code of 84-02. Also, the 286 is a B stepping dated 84-13 rather than newer C stepping usually seen on type 1 motherboards.

If the AT was announced August 14, 1984, then as this was manufactured in July of that year it must be a very early model indeed. The serial number is circa 13800. It is a model 099 with 512k and has a CGA card, 5170 serial/parallel port card, and the IBM floppy/hard disk controller. It has the original high density floppy drive, and, incredibly, the CMI type 2 hard drive (or a authorized replacement) that still boots. The battery pack is also interesting. It is different than later models and considering it still keeps th CMOS I initially though it was a replacement (that and the fact that it is not a regular AT Lithium battery pack seen on later models), but it has a date of 84-27 (late July of 1984) and is a perfect fit with white Velcro and a properly keyed connector. It is made by GE and says "Lithium Battery 6 Volts" and is a totally sealed rectangular unit made of gray plastic.

I find information about very early ATs to be lacking. There is little real information about them on the web or anywhere for that matter. This must be a "launch" model, and thus one of the earliest.

Does anybody else have a 5170 with a July or August dated tag, and if so what characteristics does it have? I am interested to hear opinions and information you might have.

Here is some of the background to the IBM process for new products which may be of interest. Prior to FCS (First Customer Ship) level machines, a number of runs are made by manufacturing for testing: DVT (Design Verification Test) - does the design work? MVT (Manufacturing Verification Test) - can we build it. So there will always be boxes around that are quite a bit earlier than FCS.

BTW, the first PC AT (Please - NOT PC/AT.) that I saw was in June 1984 in the IBM CMD lab in Kingston, NY where I was working on the 3270 PC. I remember being amazed at the speed that it counted its memory!

I don't have a early 5170 (I have one of the latest ones, a 319 made in Aug 1986 and the keyboard was made in late April of 87) but I can say that IBM usually produced computer up to 3 months behind releasing them into the market and continued support and repair for up to a year after discontinuing

I have two 5170's.....one has a green motherboard, the other a brown. I think the green motherboard is an older version.....
I also have a spare brown motherboard.

Back