• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Citizen 24 pin printers Amiga?

mykrowyre

Experienced Member
I just purchased a Citizen GSX140 24 pin printer, because I found a photo of my desk in the 90s and this is definitely the printer I was using with my Amiga.

Problem is, I can't find any reference to it and Amiga anywhere. No mention of drivers etc.

Is it epson 24 pin compatible?

Do citizens drivers exist for the Amiga? I just can't remember how I set this thing up.

Thanks

I had a Citizen Swift 24 back then. It came with a driver disk for PC and Amiga. I'd assume they all talk the same language, so you can probably use any Citizen Amiga driver. Sadly, I did not keep the printer. Really need to get one again.

Citizen ABC 24 Easystart Software Version 1.2 - Commodore Amiga (1992) is on ebay​

Citizen Print Manager 2.0 has quite a few printer drivers to choose from:

Attachments

• Citizen_PrintManager_2.0 (-, -, Amiga).zip
    192 KB · Views: 8
Pretty sure most 80s/90s Citizen parallel printers just emulate various Epson models and don't need actual Citizen drivers to work.

Right, thanks, but it's 24 pin color so I am not sure which Epson driver may work. Definitely not just the 9 pin. I realized after posting this that I must have had a Swift 24 not a GSX-140, they look identical, but the GSX is color. Hopefully the Swift 24 Amiga drivers will work with the GSX140.

Then you have the same that I had. :) Was great fun to print color graphics on it.

Then you have the same that I had. :) Was great fun to print color graphics on it.
Actually I think they were both color so I am not sure there is really any difference except maybe the GSX140 sold with drivers for Windows!

It's amazing how quickly information about old printers is vanishing from the internet.

Right, thanks, but it's 24 pin color so I am not sure which Epson driver may work. Definitely not just the 9 pin. I realized after posting this that I must have had a Swift 24 not a GSX-140, they look identical, but the GSX is color. Hopefully the Swift 24 Amiga drivers will work with the GSX140.
Yip. And other dot matrix such as IBMs... The printer specs will give all of that info.

OK!

My citizen GSX 140 arrived, and I could not figure out how the "Citizen Print Manager" was supposed to work. The printer drivers were not standard drivers, so I could not just drop them into the printers directory, this caused Final Copy to just crash.

So, I chose the driver "Epson X Old".

It worked! The print quality looked identical to my modern 9 pin Epson LX-350, which also works with this driver. Honestly it wasn't bad at all.

But, I then chose the driver "Epson X" and it looks much better. Clearly 24 pin quality.

FWIW, my modern LX-350 printed garbage using the "Epson X" driver, only "Epson X old" worked, so maybe Epson X supports 24 pin printers.

I only have a black ribbon, so I have no idea if color will work with this driver, but it doesn't matter, I don't plan on printing color, it's just not worth the effort.

Print looks pretty good considering the ribbon is probably 30yrs old.

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Actually I think they were both color so I am not sure there is really any difference except maybe the GSX140 sold with drivers for Windows!

It's amazing how quickly information about old printers is vanishing from the internet.
Same with old CRT monitors.

Most Dot Matrix printers of that era were mostly comaptible with either IBM Pro Printer, Epson FX/LX (9-pin) or Epson LQ (24-pin). This includes Okidata, Star, Panasonic, etc... I used, and still own, a Star NX-2420 Rainbow for my Amiga and did not ever need a specific driver just to print to it. It had emulation for most standard printers of the day. So try an Epson LQ and see if that is better.

Certain applications did support various models directly but usually only the most popular ones. Desktop publishing and WP programs for instance.

If you have the manual for the printer or can download it, it should tell you everything you need to know about what modes it supports and how to get max quality out of the programs you are using it with.

Back