• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Classic 8X Plain IDE CD-ROM Drives

I have thought about a SCSI controller, I still have a SCSI HD laying around. But, maybe I will just see if I can find some new face plates or restore the ones I have. Part of the fun is searching too, I will at some point have at least 4 systems to sell, 2 extra souped up 486's and 2 XP Core Duos, maybe, you never know. Relearning, some mods, makes for fun times!
Core Duos are still cheap (systems and parts) so not sure those are worth selling. 486 systems are worth selling but are probably worth more in parts.

Build an industrial system, with an ATX Backplane... Some come in full size boards that support ATX as well!

And processor card

Industrial board w/ cpu and ATX to prove they exist...

I've seen a couple of attempts at building those. They don't run as well, the backplane turns into a sort of bottleneck.

I appreciate all the wisdom, in this thread I am focused on a pair of 486 DX2 66 Gateways. I do also have a trio of core duos in another thread I am working on, however that seems to be mostly resolved. NO COMPLAINTS, just sharing the focus points. I skipped the pentiums fora reason. Working on period machines right now, dos/win 3.11, XP and next to TBD.

Build an industrial system, with an ATX Backplane... Some come in full size boards that support ATX as well!

And processor card

Industrial board w/ cpu and ATX to prove they exist...

This is the next 486 Project Board when the Gateways are done.

20240216_145645-1-768x1024.jpg

You need to remove that battery ASAP. Looks like it's already starting to leak.
Agreed, looks like its just on the brink, its on the todo list. I do have a replacement already for it when I get to it. This board is not powered right now as its the next project.

Last edited:
For fun, GPT's definition;
Please don't post anything that ChatGPT (or other AI's) vomits out, not even for fun. The factual errors will propagate and turn into gospel. It's bad enough when actual people post incorrect info, we don't need AI to add to that. It's especially bad since a lot of people for some reason tend to give this AI crap higher credibility.

Turns out that a 52X CD-Rom works awesome in this old gateway! Ordered some more! :)

Back