• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ClubMac external CD-RW

fred3rd

Experienced Member
Tag.JPGfront sm.JPGTag.JPGfront sm.JPG

I'm trying to find any information I can on this piece of hardware. I have been Googleing for hours. I'm hoping it will work on my Quadra 800 so I can make system 7.5.3 install disk for my PowerBook 5300c laptop. Any and all information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

It probably will work with your Quadra 800, provided Apple's CD-Rom extension is loaded. Just try it.

I think you're getting thrown off track because you're looking at the case and not the drive. These kinds of external CD drives are nothing more than a standard, off the shelf SCSI CD burner inside an external case. The case provides a power supply for the drive and a connector adapter to allow the external SCSI cable to plug in - and nothing more. If you want to find out what drive is in there, take the cover off and look at the drive.

But, it doesn't even matter what drive it is - it's a SCSI CD burner, they all work the same. Plug it into the Mac and use it as a CD reader - if you want to record, you'll need burning software (and the Mac needs to be fast enough). Toast is the most common Mac CD burning software.

The Quadra 800 is only a 33mhz '040, IIRC - you might be able to burn from it, but I'd keep it to 1x speed.

Don't forget to use a SCSI terminator...

-Ian

I think you're getting thrown off track because you're looking at the case and not the drive. These kinds of external CD drives are nothing more than a standard, off the shelf SCSI CD burner inside an external case. The case provides a power supply for the drive and a connector adapter to allow the external SCSI cable to plug in - and nothing more. If you want to find out what drive is in there, take the cover off and look at the drive.

Indeed, and it appears the bottom label tells us it's a 4x4x16 Yamaha drive, which is a decent recorder. Your 5300c /should/ be able to burn at 2x...don't know about 4x though, and these were the days before BURN-Free and the likes, so if you have any buffer underruns, you'll get a coaster. Grab an old copy of Toast and you should be able to burn with it...if you don't have a copy, they're available on several old Mac download sites.

A Quadra 800 should be able to boot from it, but remember that you'll be booting from a generic external SCSI drive, so you're doing CMD + OPT + SHIFT + DEL rather than just holding C.

Basically all I want to do is hook it up to the quadra and use it to read a cd containing disk images of System 7.5.3 and transfer them to floppies. I'm gonna give it a try. I have nothing to loose at this point.

Basically all I want to do is hook it up to the quadra and use it to read a cd containing disk images of System 7.5.3 and transfer them to floppies. I'm gonna give it a try. I have nothing to loose at this point.

Oh. I thought you wanted to burn discs on the Quadra.

Yeah - just plug it in. It's not like there is any possible way to damage it.

What OS are you running on the Quadra? Some older versions need the CDROM extension loaded in order to use a CD drive.

-Ian

Back