• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CoCo CCC files to ROM

Druid6900

Veteran Member
I have a few CoCos (and I think I'll be getting more), so, I wanted to make a diagnostic cartridge up to be able to test them out quickly.

I have the .ccc files for some of the diagnostics and I know I'll have to get the PCBs to use the 27 series ROMs, which I can get, but, what do I need to do to get them from the files to the ROM with my TL866cs programmer?

As always, any help is appreciated.

Druid

Ok, further on this, just in case anyone is actually reading it, I found a program that converts CCC files to BIN files and it's readable by a hex-editor, so, that's progress.

Now, to the IC; the program I want to burn is 2K, so, let's assume that the chip in question is either a 2516 or a 2716, which, if my research is correct, are interchangeable. It is the chips after that (2532/2732, 2564/2764) which weren't pin for pin compatible.

Now, on my 866CS, I can and have burned 2716s (which I have a number of), so, theoretically, I should be able to take the ROM off the board in the sacrificed cartridge (football, not even a good version of it) and put a socket and my 2716 on it and it should work.

Anyone see any flaws in this thought experiment?

I may be mistaken, but I thought that CCC files are simple binary dumps of ROM chips... that is, identical to BIN files.

Ok, further on this, just in case anyone is actually reading it, I found a program that converts CCC files to BIN files and it's readable by a hex-editor, so, that's progress.

Now, on my 866CS, I can and have burned 2716s (which I have a number of), so, theoretically, I should be able to take the ROM off the board in the sacrificed cartridge (football, not even a good version of it) and put a socket and my 2716 on it and it should work.

Anyone see any flaws in this thought experiment?

I seem to recall being able to copy a cartridge by placing electrical tape over the connector(s) and then I would be able to do a binary dump. Once on a 64K machine I think it only needed to be loaded then exec'd.? Its been a few decades though.

I seem to recall being able to copy a cartridge by placing electrical tape over the connector(s) and then I would be able to do a binary dump. Once on a 64K machine I think it only needed to be loaded then exec'd.? Its been a few decades though.

I think that your memory is correct. Putting electrical tape over the CART* pin would prevent the CoCo from running the cartridge code. Then you could read the cartridge ROM contents with PEEK() commands.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that CCC files are simple binary dumps of ROM chips... that is, identical to BIN files.

Actually, I tried just changing the CCC file extension to BIN, but the hex reader wouldn't handle it. After I ran it through the converter, it loaded into the editor just fine and I can see the ASCII for the menu and responses.

So, 2516 pin for pin compatible with the 2716 or not?

The pinout is the same
Ray

Thanks for confirming that, Ray.

I hope to find out this weekend. I'll clip off the Football chip, clean out the holes, put a socket in, burn the 2716 and see if anything blows up.

I want to get a couple of those CoCos in our first set of eBay auctions coming up, but, I might upgrade the memory on them first. After all, I'd probably, over the series of them, done hundreds...

Here you can find something about the subject. Simply put, given a ccc file is just a raw dump of the cart that must be executed from &H4000, so seems that only adding some heading and tailing bytes will do the trick...

Back