• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Coco III & HXC SD emulator

mlaferriere

Experienced Member
Hello Folks.

Does anyone have a guide or walkthrough for using an HXC floppy emulator with the CoCo's? I am able to make a blank disk (image) for the HXC, format it, Dir it, save to it etc. But once back on the PC I don't appear to be able to read from or write to the HFE file?

I have the opposite issue when using a download DSK image for the CoCo. I can see it from Windows, write to it etc, extract the .BAS file(s) but am unable to read them on the CoCo.

Is there an intermediate step I need to do to transfer files between a workable HFE image and a downloaded DSK?

Somewhat on the same subject, does the stock controller dos only support 35 track SS/DD? I seem to recall being able to use 1.2MB drives or was that OS/9?

Also, since the DSK images are much larger than the HFE file I created, I imagine they are in an 80 track DS/HD or at least 40 Track DS/DD format which the Coco may not be expecting...?

I only have the FD502 disk interface on the Coco III at this point which then plugs into the HXC Floppy emulator.

You are correct that the stock Disk Extended Color Basic only supports a 35 track SS/DD format. Back in the early 80s, my dad got an aftermarket disk drive system for our Color Computer from J&M, with a 40 track DS/DD Teac FD-55B drive. The J&M ROM supported the normal Radio Shack 35 track SS/DD format, as well as J&M's own 40 track SS/DD and 40 track DS/DD formats.

I believe that OS/9 can handle >35 tracks and double-sided drives, but I'm not an OS/9 expert yet.

Back