• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore model 1902A computer monitor need power switch and cable and service on

On this Commodore computer monitor I have I need to hold in on the power switch to keep it on. Where would I get a replacement power switch for this at that would be like an original equipment switch and what is its Commodore part number and manufacturers name and part number and also I need the upper cable for this. Also in case needed how would I by pass the switch? I also have been looking for floppy disks in both sizes and a 3-1/2 inch floppy disk drive and ram module for my Commodore C128 and 64 C computers and for support. I usually like telephone support the best and would also like to know where to get service fro Commodores. I am also very interest in a game program called "Donkey Kong" for the Commodore 64 computer by Ocean I think their full name might be Ocean Software. Was this on cartridge or disk or cassette and if on disk what size disk. I am interested in trading games and providing some support. Please elt me know if you can be of help. I would also like to try to hook up by web cam to some one on the web.

On this Commodore computer monitor I have I need to hold in on the power switch to keep it on.

Here is a (possible) easy fix for your switch problem; take the case back off and you should be able to get at the switch. Check the switch for proper operation without the push button on it. If it works, dismount the switch so you can get at the shaft hole in the push button. Get some gum and chew it for a while. Pull a small piece of gum off and roll it into a ball and push it into the shaft hole. Replace the switch and the back and it should be good until long after you're dead.

After a while, the shaft on the switches and the hole in the push button wear and the button can no longer push the shaft of the switch back far enough to lock it into the ON position. Putting something in there fixes this. Gum works best because it will dry hard and last for a hundred years.

If the switch doesn't work right when you try it without the push button, you are going to have to remove it anyway, so, go down to your local parts supplier (or The Source, if you are desperate) and try to find a match. As long as the mounting holes are the right spacing and the shaft is the right length, any old Push On/Push Off switch will do, as long as it has the same power handling ratings.

I did take the back of the Commodore model 1902A monitor case off and though was not able to figure out how to get the power switch out and I also the front off though was not successful in getting the switch out. If some one wanted to make a video of this and post it on youtube for me let me know as well as how to find it or perhaps I could hook up via web cam with some one to direct me. This is a common issue with this monitor and is likely hard to explain with out a video. What I have done in the meanwhile for temporary use is I put a board under the monitor with an L shaped bracket attached to the board to hold the power switch in.

check out ray carlsen,he's a c64/128 guy from way way back. Not only does his webpages have great info on repair,he may be coaxed into fixing that for you if you ask nicely. http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/

the guy is totally honest and 100% reliable. i have had him re-cap some of my amiga motherboards over the years.

Mech

This was a common problem with Phillips/Magnavox-manufactured Commodore monitors. The switch on my 1084 wore out. Ultimately what I did was take the plastic cover off the switch, wad up a piece of stiff paper, and push that into the hole, then put the cover back on. Then I just turned the monitor off with one of those under-monitor power centers that has a bunch of outlets in the back and switches in the front to turn them off and on. Crude, but it worked for several years that way.

Where is Ray Carlsen / Carlsen Electorincs at? I need his telephone number & address.

Where is Ray Carlsen / Carlsen Electorincs at? I need his telephone number & address.

Where is Ray Carlsen / Carlsen Electorincs at? I need his telephone number & address since he does repairs on Commodore equipment.

Reply from Ray Carlsen on power switch foprm 1902A monitor and wiring order on C128

Reply from Ray Carlsen on power switch foprm 1902A monitor and wiring order on C128

Steven,
I still have an account at the University of Washington although
I've been retired out of there for a few years, so I forwarded your
email to my home addy. FYI: my I-link account is no longer active.

I am need of an original Commodore model 1902A power switch and the
cable that attaches to the top of this switch. If a new switch is not
available is there a good way to fix or bypass the switch?

The original Commodore power switch is no longer available and I
wouldn't buy one anyway since they are cheap plastic and fall apart
easily. I do have a few replacement switches in stock that are a close
match but of a higher quality. I don't normally replace the wires
leading up to the switch unless they were damaged somehow, but simply
snip the four wires from the old switch and wire them up to the new one.
The switch can be bypassed by jumpering across it in two places. To see
pictures of the various models of monitors and switches, go to my
website at http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen and search out the
schematic pages. There are photos there that show how those power
switches are mounted and wired, and how to jumper them if necessary.

I was unable to see how to get the switch out. How is such done?

Facing the rear of the monitor, the left side slide-out assembly is
held in place by a plastic tab that must be pressed in while the
assembly is pulled back. It's also held by some wiring that must be
disconnected from the power supply board and a wire "braid" that must be
unsoldered from a metal plate.

On the Commodore C128 which is the full model number there is a
connector with 3 wires that looks like it is going to the power on
LED

The motherboard is wired so that connector works either way.

I thought maybe the rattle could be form some thing under the bottom
circuit board (the mother board). .I had some rattling in my
computer and could not find the cause so far after one removes the
top part of the computer and the metal shield how does one remove the
bottom circuit board form this computer?

The motherboard is held down to the bottom half-shell by half a
dozen or so screws around the perimeter of the board. You already
removed some of them when you took off the metal shield. As to what may
be rattling, I suspect one of the plastic "stubs" that the mounting
screws fit into has broken. You'll see if that has happened when you
pull the motherboard. If it's a metal screw that's floating around in
there, you MUST find and remove it before you turn the computer on again.

Where can I get a Commodore C128 service manual

I have schematics on my web sites but not a full service manual for
the 128. Do a Google search... I'm sure you can find one online. Try
www.zimmers.net for a start.

5-1/4 inch and 3-1/2 inch floppy disks and printer cartridges and
paper for the Commodore VIC-1525 printer

Try the newsgroup comp.sys.cbm. Lots of people there buy and sell
Commodore related goods. The 1525 uses a ribbon, not a cartridge, as far
as I remember, and as small as it is, it runs dry rather quickly.

Do you still offer Commodore repair service and if yes on what all
Commodore equipment?

I still do repairs on the C64/128 and CBM disk drives... basically
the stuff I still have parts for. I don't work on printers or Amiga.

In case I have more questions do you have a telephone number

I would prefer people not contact me by phone. My repair work is
more of a hobby than a business, and my spare time is precious to me. I
live in a little town called Ethel in Washington, about halfway between
Seattle and Portland, Oregon. Are you willing to drive that far to get
something fixed? I don't get out much and never drive to Seattle since I
retired. I hate that drive... I did it for 24 years.

Ray

Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original

Steven Bolin Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Steven Bolin <videoperson@gmail.com> Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM
To: Ray Carlsen <rcarlsen@tds.net>
Bcc: videoperson@gmail.com
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original
Sorry my return email address was typed in a little wrong the correct
retrun emai address is videoperson@gmail.com

- Show quoted text -
Quick Reply
To: Ray Carlsen <rcarlsen@tds.net>
To all: Ray Carlsen <rcarlsen@tds.net>, Note form videohobbieperson I pu t the black wire torwards the fornt of the computer for the power LED on the C128 and it worked fine however I lost one of the casing external screws does anyone know the thread type form such screws?

Commodore model 1902A monitor power switch part number is 1606780548 per manual

Commodore model 1902A monitor power switch part number is 1606780548 per manual

Commodore model 1902A monitor power switch part number is 1606780548 per manual.

Back