• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PC20-III with XT-CF.

flaviosr

Experienced Member
Dear Group,
I have bought a PC20-III with an XT-CF card but I cannot boot from the CF.
The internal HD is not connected and the controller disabled.
It is possible to do everything with the CF (FDISK, format, read, write, OS install...) but simply the computer does not want to boot from the it. It simply hangs (I have to force an HW reset).
I have no conflict (or at least I do not see them)... any suggestions?
Thank you very much

It is possible to do everything with the CF (FDISK, format, read, write, OS install...) but simply the computer does not want to boot from the it. It simply hangs (I have to force an HW reset).
Did you setup the CF card in the PC20-III or use another computer ?
What version of DOS are you using ?
What is the size and make of CF card ?
What revision of the XUB are you using ?
At what part of the boot process is it hanging ?, Are you getting to "Booting C»C" and then it hangs forever with no error messages on the screen ?.

I received the card already mounted but I have been told the setup was done FOR the PC20-III... but I am not sure on what you mean for "setup done IN the PC20-III"! Do you mean the EPROM programming?
I tried with DOS 3.3, 4.01 and 6.22.
I tried with a 16 Mb and a 128 Mb CF.
XUB? Do you mean card revision? I attach two photo of the card... I have not touched anything from how I received the card.
I get the 4 possibilities and I can decide what to do (A, C and so on...): if I press A everything it's ok and the FDD starts working. If I leave C the computer hangs (most of the times the screen becomes black but some others it freezes on the main screen).

Attachments

• PIC_20230828_201621.JPG
    PIC_20230828_201621.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • PIC_20230828_201649.JPG
    PIC_20230828_201649.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
I don't own one of those, But looking at the pics it's a third party ' knock off ' of Sergy's XT-CF.
I noticed R5 is populated where in the original Sergy's version R5 is NOT fitted
I noticed RR2 appears to be wrong, What the consequences of these are i dunno, It may or may not be the cause of your problem, Do you know where the card came from, Maybe ask the original owner.

I received the card already mounted but I have been told the setup was done FOR the PC20-III... but I am not sure on what you mean for "setup done IN the PC20-III"! Do you mean the EPROM programming?
I mean the CF card, When setting up the CF card eg: Fdisk / Format / Install DOS it is recommended to do it in the computer it is intended for.
XUB? Do you mean card revision?
I mean the XTIDE Universal BIOS

This probably won't work but have you tried wiping the CF card and then fdisk / format / install DOS.
Use WipeDisk and then Fdisk / Format and try installing DOS 6.22 again.

Memories!!!!! I remember these commands... you are right! XT HD were a bit more complicated... now I am not at home (out for work) but I will immediately try when I'm back! Thank you

Back