• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PET CBM 20xx 30xx 40xx Mix and Match

DrAlis

Experienced Member
Fellow enthusiasts, I have a bunch of PETs and a strange question. I`d like to switch keyboards (graphical and business) and/or Monitor assemblies (between a 40 and a 80 column) amongst machines. I feel a little bad about it to create Frankenstein machines, but essentially I want a 40 column one that works. But on the 40 the keyboard has stuck keys due to broken plastic and a monitor that doesnt work to look at stress free. Are there is easy rules on what is possible to trade and how? (Take ROM Uxx along with the keyboard and you are fine among 3032s). I know Zimmers great site but I am not capable of finding answers there without likely reading it all.

The keyboard and EDIT ROM largely go hand in hand with each other.

The EDIT ROM is also different depending upon the 50/60 Hz mains frequency and 40/80 column monitor.

It will also be configured for either no CRTC or for a CRTC.

It might be best to identify what main board part numbers you have got first - and then to identify how you want to configure the machine - and then we may be able to specify the correct EDIT ROM and whether your configuration of the bits will work.

At the end of the day I would say having some PETs that work is better than all of the PETs in their original configuration - but not working!

Dave

Back