• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore VIC-20 and 64 compatibility

alexkerhead

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if a vic-20 keyboard will work with a commodore 64?
I am curious, I have a 64 coming soon with a bad key, and I have a vic that is bad, but has a good keyboard.

Edit: Sorry for the wrong section I posted this in, please move it.

Thanks Carl.
Also, do you know if the I/C controller chip for the tape interface on a vic-20 will work on a commodore cbm8032(pet)?
I was curious, because I believe there may be a chip fried in my cbm, although it works, it wont work with any c2n I try.

That'd be 6522 VIA chips. Yes, I think the PETs up to 8096 use 6522, and the later CBM-II series (6xx, 7xx) use 6526 CIAs - I replaced one last week!

If you're lucky, the VIC will have socketed chips so you can easily replace a broken chip with a working one. If the computer is among the last batch (cost reduced), all chips are soldered directly to the board and then it becomes a big hassle to repair it.

Some may be 6522A or 6522B, referring to their maximum clock frequency (?), but AFAIK all Commodore units from that era operate close to 1 MHz anyway.

carlsson said:
That'd be 6522 VIA chips. Yes, I think the PETs up to 8096 use 6522, and the later CBM-II series (6xx, 7xx) use 6526 CIAs - I replaced one last week!

If you're lucky, the VIC will have socketed chips so you can easily replace a broken chip with a working one. If the computer is among the last batch (cost reduced), all chips are soldered directly to the board and then it becomes a big hassle to repair it.
I might have a wee problem here. I popped the 6522 out of the vic-20, and went to pop it in the cbm, but the cbm has it's 6522 soldered onto the board, and the only removable chip in the series is a 6502. Are there any solutions for this?
Edit: Here are a couple of images of the board.

Last edited:
Umm.. a soldering iron to desolder the chips? I've never done it, but people who are more talented are known to do it (or preferrably replace the chip with a socket so they can easily swap it in the future). In the few PETs I've seen open so far, most of the significant chips were socketed, so I'm a slight bit surprised to see them soldered to the board.

carlsson said:
Umm.. a soldering iron to desolder the chips? I've never done it, but people who are more talented are known to do it (or preferrably replace the chip with a socket so they can easily swap it in the future). In the few PETs I've seen open so far, most of the significant chips were socketed, so I'm a slight bit surprised to see them soldered to the board.
Oh well, I will just use my vic, I am getting a fdd for the cbm(pet) anyway.
Not a big deal, it works with an fdd, so that is good.

Back