• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compact Flash SCSI in an LC 475 via PCD-60B Card Reader

RetroJunkie

Experienced Member
Just thought I'd post a success story on my attempts at getting a more reliable hard drive installed into my LC 475.
Originally found this thread here which inspired me to tinker.
So I've finally got it working, 2GB Compact Flash cards seem to be the weapon of choice. I have not had any luck with 4GB MicroDrives but 2GB and 8GB Compact Flash cards seem to work well. The ones I used were generic looking eBay ones.
Just working out how to clone Mac OS Standard formatted drives now from one CF card to another. Why did they have to drop full support for Mac OS Standard so many eons ago? dd looks like the way out. There'll be some new video popping up on my YouTube channel in the next few days showing the formatting process too. My YouTube channel is over here or in my signature below. Enjoy! :D

IMG_2569.JPG

Oh wow! They look good, 2.5" form factor yes?

I've subscribed to your videos and hope you have some good luck!
I do love modular parts when repairing but boy do I hate dying / dead caps!
Then again, nothing beats that feeling of replacing caps and seeing something roaring to life... :cool:

There's a PowerBook of some sorts at a friends house that was showing issues a long while ago.
I'm tempted to attempt repair on it... just for the sake of it of course! :D

Side note: I noticed in your video you were going on with electrolytic radials instead of tantalum caps, do you not like fireball tantalums as well? ;)

Well, I thought about going with ceramic capacitors, but I have had no problem with Nichicon 105C capacitors. The tantalums, well, I didn't need firecrackers in my Powerbook!

I did install ceramics in a Sharp X68000 Compact a few years ago, and at last check it is still going strong.

I have subscribed as well. Great videos!

My view on tantalums is if they were so great, why weren't they used in the circuit to begin with? Usually there is a reason why electrolytics are used in a circuit.

When did Apple drop HFS standard support? Having never used anything newer than OS X 10.5, I wouldn't know.

Well, I thought about going with ceramic capacitors, but I have had no problem with Nichicon 105C capacitors. The tantalums, well, I didn't need firecrackers in my Powerbook!

I did install ceramics in a Sharp X68000 Compact a few years ago, and at last check it is still going strong.

I have subscribed as well. Great videos!

Ceramics? Can they hold enough charge? I was always under the impression that the ceramics were for very low uF ratings.

And repair videos are the best sort of videos :D

My view on tantalums is if they were so great, why weren't they used in the circuit to begin with? Usually there is a reason why electrolytics are used in a circuit.

When did Apple drop HFS standard support? Having never used anything newer than OS X 10.5, I wouldn't know.

Price! Apparently tantalums were quite pricy back in the day. These days they are a bit better but after seeing two explode... I don't want anything to do with them!
HFS went read only in 10.6... I didn't even realise until I started playing around with the LC 475. Took me a while...
Thank the heavens for dd! :D

I've been playing with a LC III, and I grabbed a g5 imac and put tiger on it, that made it really easy to make cds for the older mac.
Later,
dabone

Thanks for that, I see what their internals are looking like!
What will you be using the G5 for anyway? Warming the home on cold winter nights? ;)
That second link on 68kmla was where I first stumbled across how many caps these poor LCs had.
I'd hate to be a collector of these older Macs with thousands of SMD caps littered all over the boards...
Even on the LC 475 the caps are spaced evenly all over the place to cause as much damage as possible when they fail! :(

I also finally got some video up and learnt a few things along the way.

More videos on the YouTube channel here.

Next step is to hunt down a fully fledged 68040 33-40MHz if possible.

Back