• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Deskpro 386/20

Nice setup, the dual floppy drives looks upside down to me.
Too bad the drives didn't come in black, would look more OEM.

My IBM AT had an IDE/MFM combo setup when I got it (though it refused to boot until I ended up swapping IDE controllers.. but that's not the point), so it is doable - and that was hardware jumpering only, no software.

That's a damn nice computer, antiquekid3 - pure copy of IBM design, but done well with their own style to it.

Thanks guys! For free, I thought it was a really good find. I'm going to unsolder those two big transistors in the monitor and replace them with some high-voltage ones to see if the monitor comes back to life. I still can't believe how good of shape it's in cosmetically.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 16-bit IDE/floppy controller that has selectable addresses and interrupts?

Kyle

antiquekid3:

SIIG Fast EIDE Controller. Its a 16-bit ISA bus adapter. http://www99.shopping.com/storage-controllers/siig-jjpcm012s2/products~FD-0~CR-3

This is a sweetie and solves a lot a problems. The best thing about it is that it has its own BIOS and everything is programmable. It supports floppies and 4 IDE drives up to 8.4 GB. I'm running it in my 486 Premio box and have never had any compatablity issue. Can't say as much for the onboard Premio BIOS which is supposed to do LBA but has its problems. The price on eBay isn't too bad, but you might be able to shop it a little.

Could always flash the XT-IDE BIOS onto it - the AT version ofc.. provided it has a socket for that BIOS.

Back