• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Deskpro 386s memory problem

JoJo_ReloadeD

Experienced Member
Hello all,

I've just bought these memory modules to upgrade my system:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271328328919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And I can't get them both working. I have reconfigured the dip switches on the board to set it to 4mb (1 on the motherboard, 1 on the memory card, and 1 on every module)...

... but when I power on the system I only hear beeps. If I use only one of the modules everything works ok (with 3mb), but when I use the other too... the beeps.

Some photos:

The modules with the memory card.

A close-up of the modules. The working one is on the left.

I do not know why they are different.

What do you think? Do I have a broken module?

So, both work when they are the only one installed, right? That points to both modules being OK and either the memory card itself being faulty or the configuration switches on it needing to be set correctly.

No, sorry, maybe I didn't explain it correctly.

There is one module that when installed the system does not boot up no matter in what position is.With the other one everything works.

No, sorry, maybe I didn't explain it correctly.

There is one module that when installed the system does not boot up no matter in what position is.With the other one everything works.

Is the part number on the module the same? Maybe a bad part? Maybe for a different model machine (if different part number).

Is the part number on the module the same? Maybe a bad part? Maybe for a different model machine (if different part number).
Part Nos. can't be the same -- the boards are not even close. One uses 256K x 1-bit DRAM and the other uses 256K x 4-bit DRAM. :)

Back