• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Deskpro XL 560: Collectable or recycling problem?

Brcobrem

Hi,

First let me thank Vintage Computer Forums for allowing me to register. This is my first post in this site. Please, I request that no one tells my wife I've been here. I already get enough grief about "that junk" that I've acquired over the years.

I've been offered a Compaq Deskpro XL 560 for $100. Normally I wouldn't be interested in this late of a model, but here's the thing: It's brand new in the original box. Never used. No cigarette smoke, no dust, just OEM office beige everywhere. There's the CPU, keyboard and mouse, but no monitor. Here's a 1994 ad from PC Magazine : https://books.google.com/books?id=r-5Zq-uW-N8C&pg=PA114&lpg=PA114&dq=%22Compaq+Deskpro+XL+560%22&source=bl&ots=B9ajFSQanf&sig=2dWdtmX8TRtltdmRiX7jx2YWUus&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BUM5VbuVHIXCggT0jIDwBw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=%22Compaq%20Deskpro%20XL%20560%22&f=false
It looks like back in the day, this was their top of the line box. Even had native SCSI! It cerainly wasn't in my budget range back then. In 1994, I was still living in Cryix 486 land.

So the $64,000 question is (to quote something I saw on another site), "Is this a collectable or a recycling problem?"

I appreciate your replies, thoughts, comments, jokes, etc..

Regards . . .

P.S. I really wouldn't have a recycling problem. I visit the local haz/electronic waste recycling center every month or so. I drop off my DOA stuff and batteries (and do a little dumpster diving if appropriate). Better yet, I'd offer it up as a gag gift at our local IT club's December holiday party. Post up something like, "This year, someone will win a free HP server, brand new in the box!" It would be worth it to see the look on the winner's face when I wheeled that ancient white and pink box in on a hand cart. Ha!

Back