• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq III floppy type?

DaveD

Hi All, Being a right thicko when it comes to computers! I want to add a 3.5" floppy to my Compaq III luggable computer but am unsure as to what type of interface they are? Also has the exsisting lead to the 5.25" drive got a suitable socket on it to add a 3.5" drive? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Dave D

Hi-
your problem is ... not a problem. Just rip out a floppy drive from any junk 'puter, and either replace your original drive with it, or plug it in the second connection on the floppy cable - it will automatically be configured as the second floppy drive (B:).
Some older ribbon cables don't have an index key, so make sure you plug the cable in the correct way, with the red (#1) edge closest to the power connector. If you plug the cable in upside - down, no worries - no damage done, but you'll see the drive light stay on & never go out. Just flip the cable upside-down.
You may not have the correct power cable on your PS, so you can either (1) buy an adapter (should be no more than $5), or (2) rip out one from a junk computer & wire it up.
You'll have top boot up into your bios configuration, and set up your new drive as 1.4 (you'll be offered a bunch of options). I'd set it up as the primary (A:) dive, if I wanted to use it as a boot drive.
Also, if you want the install to look sexy, there are mounting adapters available (with face plate & all), which turn a full size bay into a 3.5 bay.
Have fun, you're unlikely to run into any problems, but, if you do - post again.
-dim

Back