• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable III Parts Needed (or maybe parts to sell...)

brain

Experienced Member
Non working Portable III. When power is applied, PSU cycles, trying to start. I pulled the unit apart, and the PSU will run with no load, but clicks. If I slow down the fan, the unit resumes the cycling. Unless there's a way to fix the PSU, I think I need a replacement, but not sure if those are available, or if it's better to sell as a parts unit for someone else to finish a machine (I can't validate the screen until I can get it booted, nor the motherboard. Looks like it has a HDD in it, but can't see size (20 or 40). Case looks pretty good, tho, with a few cracks at the corners. KB cable is rotted, but KB otherwise in good shape.

Anyone have ideas on how I should proceed?

Jim

Many older PSUs require a load to correctly start. So you may need to connect a spinning disk to have it regulate the voltage correctly. Generally, check the capacitors and see if any are leaking or look suspicious. Check the PCB for any corrosion, and test for low resistance (i.e. short circuits) between the voltage outputs and ground. When it runs, measure the voltage rails.

Anytime I plug any of the items into the PSU, it goes into the cycling mode.

I'll measure the voltage rails if I cna get it running this morning.

Jim

Pretty sure I scrapped one of these for parts long ago; not sure what works though, and shipping's probably too high to take a chance...

I did. Nothing looks out of place, and though the clicking is pronounced, I turned the lights out and see no arcing. It's also not the relay.

Jim

I would still take a closer look at the capacitors. Take them out and measure, and replace if needed.

Not sure where your project stands with this machine, but I'm actively looking for some parts for my Portable 386 (which shares a bunch of 'DNA' with your III) - specifically, I could really use a replacement floppy drive, and I'd LOVE to find the "Expansion Pack" that adds two ISA slots to the machines. Lemme know if you decide to part yours out...

Thanks!

Huxley

Mine does not have the expansion pack (though I see one on eBay, or I did earlier in the week when I was looking for Portable III parts).

Here's a full unit that has the expansion pack that would work, I believe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Por...173144?hash=item5dabe99f58:g:JhsAAOSwQ9tfAO3n

Not too expensive yet, so...

Since I have a ton of projects in the hopper, and PCs are the least interesting of the systems I have here (I posted a ton of pics on FB of a Tandy Model II/12/16B stash I need to turn into a few good machines), I looked for a replacement PSU, but I'm not terribly motivated to go through the existing PSU (If I have that kind of time, there's a Model 12 PSU that needs some love :). And, I decided I have a Portable I (there's some cache in having an early portable PC clone), and a Compaq slt/286, so I'm not sure I need another non 386 machine, so I picked up a Portable 386 (with an expansion pack (sorry :). Assuming it arrives here in good shape, I think I will part out the Portable III. Stay tuned.

Jim

Mine does not have the expansion pack (though I see one on eBay, or I did earlier in the week when I was looking for Portable III parts).

Here's a full unit that has the expansion pack that would work, I believe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Por...173144?hash=item5dabe99f58:g:JhsAAOSwQ9tfAO3n

Not too expensive yet, so...

Since I have a ton of projects in the hopper, and PCs are the least interesting of the systems I have here (I posted a ton of pics on FB of a Tandy Model II/12/16B stash I need to turn into a few good machines), I looked for a replacement PSU, but I'm not terribly motivated to go through the existing PSU (If I have that kind of time, there's a Model 12 PSU that needs some love :). And, I decided I have a Portable I (there's some cache in having an early portable PC clone), and a Compaq slt/286, so I'm not sure I need another non 386 machine, so I picked up a Portable 386 (with an expansion pack (sorry :). Assuming it arrives here in good shape, I think I will part out the Portable III. Stay tuned.

Jim

Does your Portable III have the RAM expansion module?

OK, so I have a working Portable 386 now, and I have been able to get the PSU on this unit working to see what shape the unit is in:

Unit boots with 1MB of RAM, floppy drive is 3.5" 1.44MB and works

Screen has an issue:

And Conner CP321 HDD is locked up.

But, rest seems to work fine. Loaded DOS and such. Since there are some folks who want pieces, I think this unit should be split up and help all the other units out there.

I'll post in For Sale...

Back