• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable motherboard, late revision?

MissArgent

Veteran Member
So, I'm still hacking away at the Baby Blue and i've switched over to my Compaq Portable, the machine I intend it to go in. While poking around (and cleaning up some embarrassing early socket/replace work on the 8237 from years ago), I remembered something unusual: The motherboard doesn't really match anything I've seen on the internet. It can take 256k in 4164 DRAMs or 41464 DRAMs, using a shunt jumper to control which DRAMs the machine uses. Is this a very late run machine, or something weird? I can't think of many PC clones or even XT clones that can use 41464. Hell, the Portable Plus motherboard seemingly doesn't even really line up with this one.

IMG_1663.jpg

Interesting. Is there an “assembly” number on it somewhere? Also what BIOS revision is in it?

Interesting. Is there an “assembly” number on it somewhere? Also what BIOS revision is in it?
Motherboard assembly 000385-001, Rev. A. BIOS revision is J (106265-002). Machine was bought off a construction contractor on the outskirts of Chicago a few years back. (I recently had to replace that selection shunt pack with a spare DIP switch since I accidentally pulled the entire socket while trying to get the shunt pack out)

Attachments

• hqCINEX.png
    hqCINEX.png
    331.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 13
Rev. J is from 1987, which makes it one of the very last portables built. I have two, and both are from 1985, which I assume was the peak year for Portable.

There is a dump of Rev. J from Mr. @jafir, but I have a few Rev. H with different checksums. If you don't mind, please dump your bios and either compare it to Jafir's dump or share it here and I'll do the comparison.

Back