• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Presario CDS 510 won't enter BIOS

Simone02

Hello!
I've got an old Compaq PC (CDS 510) but it won't enter BIOS. When I press a key like F10, F1, F2, Del or other it says me:
Code:
301-Keyboard error
And I can't enter BIOS! I have got only one PS/2 keyboard. Help me please. Thanks in advance!

If they keyboard is plugged in (you didn't specify), It's probably the keyboard fuse. Not sure of that specific model, many used a small fuse that looks like a resistor. If you can find it, you can bypass it (temporarily) until you get a new fuse to install.

In CDS510 to enter BIOS Setup, you have to press F10 when it blinks a rectangle in upper-right corner of screen. Its on-ROM BIOS has "setup" enough to autodetect IDE drives and display error messages. No other things in its chip.
If it doesn't blink - no BIOS setup partition exists on hard disk. You need setup and diagnostics floppy disks to make one. Start with non-partitioned drive as it doesn't resize partitions.

Back to the keyboard: I assume that the keyboard is good. With multimeter check for +5V presence on PS/2 socket. This should uncover fuse problems. Connect keyboard to keyboard's socket, not one for mouse, they don't work in reverse.

Back