• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq presario cds524 dead after battery replace

hbsoftware

Hi friends
I was offered this all in one compaq for free...it was working fine for a couple of days until i decided to replace the dead bios battery. I soldered a socket for a cr2032, then i brushed off the dust with a toothbrush...thats all i did. Now it wont post ..nothing... putting a bios analyzer card shows no codes, totally dead. Voltages are fine, clock led is on, reset led goes on then off like its supposed to. I checked for any broken traces or mishaps were i did the work and all is ok. I think my soldering iron leaks ac to the tip and since i was touching the board while soldering i may have created a path and voltage corrupted or damaged the bios...is this possible? Can someone give me a hint of were to find a bios dump if this machine? I may try to buy a new ic and have it burned by someone locally...i cant stand the idea of being the culprit on this machines death..i really want to revive it

Attachments

• 20230305_191323.jpg
    20230305_191323.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Possible ESD damage maybe? Are you sure the coin cell holder terminals are correctly oriented to the mobo battery points.

I think my soldering iron leaks ac to the tip ...
Why do you suspect that? The metal bit of a soldering iron is normally grounded.

... and voltage corrupted or damaged the bios...is this possible?
There are quite a few chips, any one going faulty (or not fully in their socket), will result in a 'appears dead' motherboard.

My first suggestion is to remove the CR2032, to see if that does anything.

Presumably, the motherboard was removed from the computer in order to do the soldering. In putting the motherboard back in, you may be creating a short somewhere. Imagine leaving out an insulating washer, resulting in a screw (grounded) touching a trace on the motherboard.

Re-seat all socketed chips.

Possible ESD damage maybe? Are you sure the coin cell holder terminals are correctly oriented to the mobo battery points.
Hi, i made sure the polarity was correct. The pc had a button cell too but soldered to the board..i took note before removing it

Why do you suspect that? The metal bit of a soldering iron is normally grounded.

There are quite a few chips, any one going faulty (or not fully in their socket), will result in a 'appears dead' motherboard.

My first suggestion is to remove the CR2032, to see if that does anything.

Presumably, the motherboard was removed from the computer in order to do the soldering. In putting the motherboard back in, you may be creating a short somewhere. Imagine leaving out an insulating washer, resulting in a screw (grounded) touching a trace on the motherboard.

Re-seat all socketed chips.
Hi . I did the work on the living room were there is no earth wire..only on the kitchen and bathroom and on my office...i should have used my isolation transformer to power the soldering iron but was lazy.....i verified for shorts, verified the edge connector pins, ram, tried with and without battery and tried a new processor.

Last edited:
Today i tried to replace the cylindrical crystal. I think its related to the cmos timer. Reason for that is that i connect my frequency counter to the crystal pins and i get 50hz, same with my multimeter on frequency mode...i think it should be around 32khz. The crystal is connected to this vlsi chip vl82c114fc1. I cant find a datasheet for that...the bios rom seems to be stored on a am27c010..Any thoughts on what i should check?

Attachments

• 16781415296444162823694933161502.jpg
    16781415296444162823694933161502.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 3
Back