• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq SLT 286

swh

Help:
I purchased this portable to upload and download programs to old PLCs.
When I attempt to install DOS 4.0 it doesn’t seem to recognize the hard drive (Conner CP-3041 type 22) as it prompts me to make three operating disks. I found, and downloaded the SP0308 setup file from HP. When I try to run the program I get an error stating not enough memory. I have 2688K of ram, shouldn’t this be sufficient?

When I attempt to install DOS 4.0 it doesn’t seem to recognize the hard drive (Conner CP-3041 type 22) as it prompts me to make three operating disks.
An installation of DOS 4 always asks for a number of blank diskettes to be inserted. It is a normal part of the install process for DOS 4. Erase and reuse those diskettes after the installation has completed.

I found, and downloaded the SP0308 setup file from HP. When I try to run the program I get an error stating not enough memory. I have 2688K of ram, shouldn’t this be sufficient?
Quick answer - no. If you want to understand why, you need to do some Internet research into how DOS accesses memory. Use search terms such as, 'conventional memory','expanded memory' and 'extended memory'.
To get SP0308 going, I suggest:
1. Create a bootable DOS diskette.
2. On that diskette, delete CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT
3. Unzip SP0308.ZIP to that diskette.
4. Boot from the diskette.
5. Run SP0308.EXE

Back