• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

compuadd 316s

286user

I recently purchased a 316s compuadd to play with for my collection. From what I understand from researching it as well as opening it up, its a 386 sx 16, with 4 30 pin simm sockets. I did google it and supposingly the most ram it can take is 4mb? It has a 387 co proc socket which i got a 387sx nib to plug in to it, a 25 mhz version thats backward compatible. Anyway my questions are the following, has anyone successfully gone to 16mb on it via 4 x4mb 30 pin simms? When i researched it some people were talking about it but no one I could tell, ever posted being successful. Next since I got the math co pro for it but havent installed it yet, what are the dip switch settings for it.
From what i gather there is a block in back of the simm sockets with 10 dip switches. So I would think that one of them controls the math co being present or not. I would like to know the settings of the switches. I havent been too successful on google finding that out, let alone maybe a label or something inside the case? In addition to this, i also have a compuadd 212 286 that ill post in the 286 forum same issue those darn dip switch settings.

Thanks in advance.

Trying to find manuals and resources on Compuadd stuff is VERY hard.

But it looks like there is some good news. http://books.google.com/books?id=G4...CDQQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=compuadd 316&f=false

That shows the maximum RAM as 10MB. If you could get some 2MB simms aleast you could do 8 MB

Sorry, but that system is the 316 with full 386-16 and a 32-bit memory card. The system in question is a 316s with a 386sx which accepts 4 MB on the motherboard.
http://books.google.com/books?id=vT...0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=compuadd 316s&f=false

Using almost identical model names for very different systems is bad for support.

Using almost identical model names for very different systems is bad for support.

CompuAdd's model numbers told you in an instant exactly which processor it came with:
316s = 3 for 386, 16 for 16 MHz, s for SX

Dell had a similar naming scheme; for example, "325SX" for a 25 MHz 386SX machine.

Back