• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computer History Documentaries

CommodoreZ

Experienced Member
I'm searching for a specific, formative computer history documentary from my youth.

I've been trying to figure out what on earth it was that I watched in June of 2004 that started me down the path of this hobby. Memories are fuzzy, but I remember my 8th grade computer science teacher putting on a VHS tape that began filling in the technological gaps and exciting my imagination to learn about the history. There was a gulf of missing information between things parroted by older family members (with generic phrases like "well, we used to use punch cards!" or "computers used to be as big as a room" without any additional context) and what I understood as a then-modern computer. I remember not wanting to leave the classroom, despite it being the last class of the last day of school because of how much I enjoyed that documentary. It was talking primarily about the birth of the microcomputer in the 70s and probably some of the 80s, but beyond that, I can't recall much else.

Knowing that I may never encounter it again, I'm curious if any of y'all can recommend any documentaries about the history of computers, either good ones for folks involved in the community, or ones suitable for more general audiences. Obviously there are plenty of more recent ones about specific companies or individuals, but I'm more interested in something a bit more broad-spectrum.

They aren't documentaries, but I've been enjoying watching the back catalog of "Computer Chronicles" on youtube. It's a computer show that ran from the early 80's to at least the late 90's. I'm not sure when it ended or if it's still going. But it's really neat to see the hosts and guests talking about early computing technology as it was coming out. You also get to see some of the ideas that didn't take off. It's co-hosted by Gary Kildall, who created CP/M and they ask some good, probing questions to their guests. It's also fun to see the guests trying to one-up each other as they talk about the features of their products lol.

I know that's not exactly what you were looking for, but I suggest giving it a shot. Instead of learning about history, you get to experience it like it's happening!

Indeed, Computer Chronicles is very enjoyable. I've seen clips of a few episodes, and a few complete episodes over the years -- even got a chance to meet Stewart Cheifet once at VCF East, nice guy! Speaking of PBS, Nova had a good episode in 1990 called "The KGB, The Computer and Me", which gives a fun glimpse into another era.

As amusing as the kitsch of "Pirates of Silicon Valley" may be, it's not exactly what I'm after either.

Back