• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computer memory expansion 1980’s to present.

GADFRAN

Experienced Member
Thought some of you might be interested in this.

Did it as part of my STS [science, technology & society] research

==========================================

Old timers – memories !

New timers – wow was that what it was like back then !

=========================================

CMEMORYEXPANDSTEXTFINAL.jpg

Right – 5.25” drive / floppy – about 360 KB [kilobyte] – about $300 back then – rough inflation factor of 2.3, so today over $600 – so we treasured them – Kaypros $2000, so today over $4000.- they were “ very “ treasured [just got a new Win 7 HP and Lenovo, each for less than $500 since old Vista crashed – critical for my STS research !]

Top right – 3.5” drive / disk – 1.4 MB

Top left – ZIP drive 100 MB

Left – DVD drive / disks – 4 + GB

Bottom right – external hard drive - 1 + TB

Bottom left – memory cards & sticks [flash drives] – GB’s

Note white arrow [ /\ ] is a “micro” card – need tweezers sometimes to handle it – a couple of years ago I got the biggest 32 GB $100 – just saw them for about $30 now.

Enjoy !

Frank

Just how big is a TB = terabyte ?

I came across this ad in Time Magazine a while back and thought you might be interested in order to show “newbies” just how massive our computer memories are now compared to the vintage computer era.

=================================================================

In the Kaypro era as many of you know we had 64 “ KB “ RAM [yes, that is kilobytes for those new to vintage computers] and 360 KB on a floppy drive.

When I talk to those new to our hobby, I like to use the image of the “ Grand Canyon “ – immense !!! - to try to let them know just how big a TB is compared to the little valleys and streams in our local SE PA region.

==========================================================

My previous post was to show how the ´physical aspects “ decreased dramatically as did the price, to now a memory card that is less than the size of your small finger fingernail for less than $10 for 4 GB and dropping fast !.

As far as cost goes, a MB of memory in an external hard drive was about $0.20 a few years ago for a 500 GB drive. It evolved to today of 2 TB drive for about less than two [2] cents per MB and dropping fast !

So how far will it go – we all know – down and fast – but the details depend on many factors.

=============================================================

Before the floods hit Thailand where a lot of ext HD are made, I got at Walmart several 2 TB ext HD at their clearance shelf, to archive a lot of my research for about only $100. Today. after the floods, the price seems to be holding at about $150 for now.

Then the clerk at another big retail outlet, Best Buy, said they have 3 TB and 4 TB on the way ?

So enjoy ! We are all in for quite the ride and in many aspects we consumers seem to have the advantage so far.

Frank

Back