• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computers on the TV show "The Americans"

Frozen001

Experienced Member
I have been watching the show "The Americans". Time frame is Regan Era, and they have had verious computers as props in the show. A couple of shows they have shows computers inside the Russian HQ or embassy or something like that, and it seems unique, well at least to me. It has a large case with the screen in the case but a separate keyboard. The back of the case is rounded on the top side so there is no sharp corner. This is from memory of the scenes I have seen them in. I wish I could get a screen capture. Anyways has anyone seen the show and can identify it? Hard to search on a vague description...

I think most of the computers and terminals were supplied by the MARCH group at info age. Maybe Evan K will be able to chime in about which machine it is. I know one of the members here who is part of MARCH also helped "build" the teletype setup used on the show. I was involved in the adventure getting paper tape rolls to the set for filming in time.
I wish I could be more help on the machines. I actually just started watching the show on amazon streaming, it's an amazing show I just never had time to catch it before now.

Cheers,
Corey

This is from Season 1, episode 6:
Americans1.jpg
Looks similar to a VT100 terminal.
In the travel agency there are some PET looking computers. They seem to paint them over and/or remove logos.
There are some teletypes, tape drives and lots of vintage items throughout the series.

I supplied a teletype. MARCH supplied VT 10x terminals and there was some other person/group who supplied Visual 1050 systems. MARCH may have also contributed other terminals and desks, etc.

VT100 termials... that was what I was referring too... No wonder why I could not find them. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hi Frozen.

As billdeg, Corey, etc. said -- we "MARCHins" led the vintage computing efforts for The Americans. We supplied several DEC VT10x terminals, Commodore PETs, assorted miscellaneous microcomputers, assorted printers, and one teletype. Desks came from the InfoAge Science Center, which hosts the MARCH computer museum (and VCF East), among other organizations.

I had a nice conversation with the TV show's prop person last month. She said they just finished filming season two. I urged her to tell the writers that season three should see the spy family get an 8-bit microcomputer in their home!!! It would be very appropriate. Seeing as the spies already know Commodore from their travel agency work, it would therefore make perfect sense if a couple of years go by and they bought their kids a C64.

There's another show debuting this summer, this time on AMC, called Halt & Catch Fire. It is a drama about a 1980s tech start-up. There will * many * of MARCH's computers on that show!! See how many you can spot. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halt_and_Catch_Fire_(TV_series)

Back