• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

connecting c64 to tv

sep07

Can someone tell me the name of the cable that connects the Commodore 64 to the TV? I'm trying to set mine up (bought it off ebay) and I think it's missing. Also is it something I could buy at a Radio Shack?

Last edited:
Can someone tell me the name of the chord that connects the Commodore 64 to the TV?

C sharp? :)

Assuming what you're actually looking for is a "cable",
that depends on what connectors are on your television.

If you have an "Antenna" jack, the easiest thing to do is get:
- a cable with RCA male connectors on both ends, and
- an adapter, "F" male to RCA female

Install the adapter on the antenna jack on the TV.
Run the cable from the RCA jack of the C64 to the adapter.
Turn on the C64.
Tune the TV to channel 3.

Enjoy.

(If we don't already have a FAQ, can we start one and put this in it please?)

Thanks for the help so far and I'm sorry if my questions are annoyingly naive. My TV doesn't have an antenna jack so do I just skip the adapter and hook it up using an RCA cable with both male ends?

My TV doesn't have an antenna jack so do I just skip the adapter and hook it up using an RCA cable with both male ends?

Probably not. If you're saying your TV has an RCA jack, you haven't said anything about the type of signal it wants, only what kind of connector it is.
Do you see a label for that jack? What does it say?

Odd, are the newest TVs manufactured completely without an antenna input and tuner? You have the following options:

1. Find someone who sells a video cable, either composite or S-Video.

2. Build one yourself, requires a bit of soldering skills.

3. Find a generic 5-pin to RCA cable, use a multimeter to identify which pin goes to which RCA plug, cut off the ones not needed and plug in the rest. You would get a better picture quality than the RF/antenna option, but not quite as high as you would with the separate video option.

Or of course 4. Get another TV that has an antenna input, if your TV lacks one. It could come handy if you are going to buy other vintage home computers that assume an antenna input. If you have an old VCR or some other equipment with antenna input and tuner, it could also work.

All it says next to the RCA input is video, L/mono, and audio. It has a column (red, white, yellow) for in as well as one for out (red, red, yellow). The TV has one of those Cable/Antenna jacks that needs to be screwed on. I thought you were referring to the kind that had to be fastened with hooks. Sorry.

The TV has one of those Cable/Antenna jacks that needs to be screwed on.

That's the one we were looking for. Obviously you can't plug an RCA male cable into that, so you need an adapter
like Radio Shack part number #278-255, Phono Plug to "F" Jack Adapter.

That's not to say you can't use the other connectors on your TV.
I just think this is the easiest way to go.
YMMV.

Cheers,
Andy

Yes, antenna input - with the F adapter - is the absolutely easiest way to get going, given that you have or can easily obtain a RCA to RCA cable of decent length.

Back