• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Conner CP-2024 to make it alive

I have set my CP-2024 like this but the BIOS doesn't still detect it:

Standard troubleshooting:
- Does it spin up?
- Does it seek?
- Check the cables.
- Check the jumpers.
- Disable DMA modes in BIOS for the secondary controller.

Standard troubleshooting:
- Does it spin up?
- Does it seek?
- Check the cables.
- Check the jumpers.
- Disable DMA modes in BIOS for the secondary controller.

- Yes.
- Not sure.
- It's fine.
- It's set as master correctly.
- No difference.

Enrico, I have attached a Conner specific low level formatting utility. If you think the drive needs a low level format then this would be the program to use.

View attachment 21511

I hope this works out for you.

Do you still have the file for that low-level formatting utility? I have a Conner CP-341 that seems to be acting a little bit funky.

Do you still have the file for that low-level formatting utility? I have a Conner CP-341 that seems to be acting a little bit funky.

What’s the symptoms is the drive is experiencing? They may refer to it as a “low-level” format utility, but it’s certainly not a true low-level format. IDE drives are low-leveled at the factory and can’t be low-leveled by the user. In fact, if you actually found a way to attempt a true low-level format to an IDE drive, it would kill it instantly, as the servo tracks would be wiped out and and the heads would have no clue what to afterwards.

(Sorry for deleting and reposting. I'm not quite used to the forum tools of this site.)

Just some bad sectors here and there, though oddly, while browsing the files that existed on the drive, it seems like something may have corrupted the filesystem as well, 'cause just about every file I opened instead contained a fragment of some kind of business document. I know that the "low-level format" that's actually done using the manufacturers' tools in reality usually just re-maps bad sectors and wipes all data. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have a go at the drive first with Conner's own utility rather than something third-party, given the age of the drive.

The post you quoted still has the attached file. Did you disable javascript in your browser? If so, try enabling it.

(Sorry for deleting and reposting. I'm not quite used to the forum tools of this site.)

Just some bad sectors here and there, though oddly, while browsing the files that existed on the drive, it seems like something may have corrupted the filesystem as well, 'cause just about every file I opened instead contained a fragment of some kind of business document. I know that the "low-level format" that's actually done using the manufacturers' tools in reality usually just re-maps bad sectors and wipes all data. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have a go at the drive first with Conner's own utility rather than something third-party, given the age of the drive.
It sounds like you're using the wrong CHS settings. I would confirm that before doing any formatting. Also, avoid doing anything that writes to the disk since that can corrupt data.

EDIT: I just noticed that you have done two posts but the forum says that your post count is 1. Go figure. :D

The post you quoted still has the attached file. Did you disable javascript in your browser? If so, try enabling it.

Yup, it works now! Though, for some odd reason it crashes after the splash screen on the computer I was trying to use it on. I'll probably try it on a different system to see if it has to do with incompatibility with the VIA C7 CPU that it's got.

As far as the CHS settings go, the settings were correct according to the Stason website (It didn't have the -341 specifically, but it has the -342 and -344, which were OEM equivalents of the 341). I'm pretty sure that it really is just that it got scrambled by a format in the past. :p

Another question: the conner formatting tool exits right after the information splash screen even on an older Pentium 2 board with DOS 5 on a boot floppy. What's the best configuration to use the program in?

Enrico, I have attached a Conner specific low level formatting utility. If you think the drive needs a low level format then this would be the program to use.

View attachment 21511

I hope this works out for you.

How do you use the low-level formatting utility? I currently have my CP-341 hooked up to a 386 system, and whenever I run cnrfmt.exe in DOS 5, it crashes back to DOS after I press any key to dismiss the info screen.

Back