• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Couple of questions about 5150

If the original chip was MK4116N-3GP , I think that is a 300ns (nanosecond) rated chip.
I think the TMS4116-25NL is a 250ns rated chip so you should be okay with that.
Both are 16k memory chips....... meaning 16K in a bank of 8 or 9 with parity.

If you search on Google you can find datasheets for both of those chips.

If the original chip was MK4116N-3GP , I think that is a 300ns (nanosecond) rated chip.
An Internet search using "MK4116N-3" reveals that the -3 is a 200 ns device.

I think the TMS4116-25NL is a 250ns rated chip
Web sites confirm that.

... so you should be okay with that.
Confirmed by the Aug'81 edition of the 5150 Technical Reference:
"The memory is dynamic 16K x 1 chips with an access time of 250 ns and a cycle time of 410 ns."

Installed the chip and it's working fine now thanks! :D
Just two more questions :blush:
Does anyone know where I could get a driver for a SOTA 286 card? Google doesn't seem to give any help in that regard.
Also what would be the best way to go about cleaning this - what I think is minor battery leakage? It's a CGA card with a battery on it for some reason.
IMG_6284_zps8fd425ff.jpg

IMG_6285_zps89277303.jpg

IMG_6287_zps3f21d135.jpg

Just to confirm, since I'm not seeing a battery, if it's that gray thing you're looking at, that's a crystal. It looks more like atmospheric moisture corrosion, anyway. Near a salt-water ocean, by any chance ?
patscc

Just to confirm, since I'm not seeing a battery,
I'm pretty sure that the blue object in the top photo is a barrel shaped NiCad battery.

It's a CGA card with a battery on it for some reason.
Maybe the card also contains a real time clock.

Also what would be the best way to go about cleaning this - what I think is minor battery leakage?
The green stuff is the typical result of a leaking NiCad battery. You should remove the battery.

Druid6900 earlier wrote, "Actually, since the leakage from a NiCad battery is a base (potassium hydroxide), you'd want to neutralize it with vinegar and water, not baking soda, which would have done nothing other than spread it around since all common potassium salts are soluble in water."

I've cleaned many cards and motherboards to remove this type of corrosion with white vinegar
and an old toothbrush. Just put some vinegar in a small container, gently brush it onto the corrosion
with the toothbrush. Let it sit for five minutes or so and rinse the entire card with cold tap water.
Try to remove as much of the blue crystal substance as possible.

Let the card dry for a day or more before putting it back in your computer.

hello
I have the SOTA286i , but do not have the driver disc.
But on cd .textfiles .com http://cd.textfiles.com/microhaus/mhblackbox2/PATCHES/ there is a file SOTA.ZIP for the 286.
*edit: the SOTA.ZIP is for the MOTHERCARD 5.0* Sorry :shocked:
On the SOTA386 disc there are printspooler and other stuff - dont think it works on the SOTA286.
/cimonvg

Last edited:
Back