• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CP/M 2.2x (Northstar Disk) "NSDD" Program

Ken Vaughn

Experienced Member
Does anyone have any documentation on the CP/M 2.2x program NSDD.COM? When I execute it, I get the following:

N*DOS -> CP/M File Transfer (NSDD 01.00)
[(c) 1981 Infosoft Systems ]
#

I assume the # (pound sign character) is a prompt. I tried several response forms, but it didn't like any of them. It replies
?
#

It looks like a N*DOS to CP/M file mover, which would be useful. I used a "special" disk under CP/M 1.4x which contained both CP/M and N*DOS directories with an overlapping file entry. This allowed me to transfer files, but was somewhat cumbersome. I would like to try this utility.

Why not just the filename?

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Do you mean to specify the filename(s) on the command line? If so, in what format? N*DOS and CP/M use different conventions to specify unit. Do I specify both filenames on the command line?

Example please.

Does anyone have any documentation on the CP/M 2.2x program NSDD.COM? When I execute it, I get the following:

N*DOS -> CP/M File Transfer (NSDD 01.00)
[(c) 1981 Infosoft Systems ]
#

I assume the # (pound sign character) is a prompt. I tried several response forms, but it didn't like any of them. It replies
?
#

It looks like a N*DOS to CP/M file mover, which would be useful. I used a "special" disk under CP/M 1.4x which contained both CP/M and N*DOS directories with an overlapping file entry. This allowed me to transfer files, but was somewhat cumbersome. I would like to try this utility.

Ken,

You can try in:

http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/Northstar/

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried the Harte website, and also Bitsavers.org. I got the utility on a Dave Dunfield CP/M bootable image file. Judging from it's position in the directory list it was probably added by the individual who submitted the image file, and was likely not on the Lifeboat Associates distribution disk.

My "special" diskette with both N* and CP/M directories and an overlapping file entry in both directories works. The diskette is single density, and I believe that it must be single density. CP/M 1.4x (or at least my version) required using a DENSITY command to declare the disk in B: as single density. CP/M 2.2x recognizes that the disk is single density. I copy the file using a PIP command under CP/M, and using the N* DOS CF command under DOS. I edit the N* Dos ASCII file to contain the CP/M EOF byte before transferring it over to CP/M.

Back