• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Creating DOS installation disks

Syntho

Experienced Member
Does someone have some files for creating DOS installation disks, but from DOS itself? There are some DOS programs that work with image files and floppies but I don’t think the 4-disk set of the DOS install that’s floating around on the net are compatible with those programs. I could buy a USB floppy drive or just the original install diskettes but I thought I’d check here first.

Which version of DOS? DOS 1.x causes problems for a number of disk imaging tools but I doubt that applies. Four disk install sounds like DOS 4 or later and I believe there are sets of disks images that will work with most DOS based image writing tools. Someone might be able to point out a more compatible set of images.

Gonna have to go with a free version, of course, due to rule #5.

Last edited:
I have a disk tool that can split disks into smaller files:

I used this because I could transfer files to and from a system with a 5.25" drive, but I didn't have that drive on other systems. It has options where you can split the disk into two files so it will fit on two disks and it can stop and prompt you to switch disks to backup or restore disk images.

I think DskImage works with uncompressed sector dump images (IMG, IMA, etc.) that you will often find.

It is also possible to use ImageDisk to write raw sector images, but they must be converted to ImageDisk format first:

I've found that handy at times because some other DOS based tools barf on 320k/180k/160k 5.25" floppy disk images.

As already mentioned " Dskimage ", works fine with UNcompressed floppy disk images, I've used it for years.

Back