• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Creative CD-200 CD-ROM and Sound Blaster Compatibility

If you want to try networking in Dos there are various ways to do it. The basic requirement is a packet driver for the nic and a suite of programs. If you do a search on VCF there are a few good threads on the topi using mTCP, MSs Dos cleint, and a few others.

Of course you can use serial or parallel "laplink/null modem" cables for file transfer.

As well as faster transfer speeds an advantage of a nic is the boot rom socket can hold an eprom to support larger hdds
over riding any bios limitations. Part of a VCF community project-XT-IDE

Last edited:
Ohhh for that one I am guilty! I picked up the Wyse 286. It is huge. So huge I had to leave it at work. It is literally like a PC tower that fell over on its side. A nice big Seagate hard drive with a huge MFM card. Very strange design though with the CPU and RAM being on ISA cards instead of on the motherboard.

Ah yes I have seen the MS-DOS 7.1, until the 300MB Connor drive fails I won't be needing that but I will definitely be looking into Calmira. I have a feeling I have used that in my teenage years when I was "stuck" on a Windows 3.1 machine after using Windows 95 for years. Geez, I remember when Windows 95 was installed onto the old Osborne. It definitely shipped with Windows 3.1 and we had some type of failure (possibly hard drive). Came back with Windows 95 loaded onto it. I wasn't very fond of it at first of course. No one likes change!

I had a feeling that you won it. Please make a video about it as I am really interested in the system. What model seagate is the drive? ST-225?? I remember 7.1. I used to always install volkov commander with it and it was so easy to use.

Thanks for making the video. I was going to offer to buy it but I see you already sold it. Generally those St251 were very good drives. They should may an odd seek sound when they boot (like a knocking noise).

You bet they do! Did the video show up in this thread at all? Last I saw is that it was pending review by a moderator? Yet I can't see it above!

Oh well, but yes it definitely makes that knocking noise when it spins up. I can see how people would get attached to that noise, it is quite hypnotic.
The Osborne 486 I have has the best floppy drive seek though, I should record it as it has haunted me for years. It's very close to a normal floppy seek but has a skip in the "beat".
Thinking of tracking down an AMD socket 3 chip for it to give it a bit of a boost. Apparently the Pentium Overdrives for Socket 3 / 486 boards wasn't too swell?

Thanks for making the video. I was going to offer to buy it but I see you already sold it. Generally those St251 were very good drives. They should may an odd seek sound when they boot (like a knocking noise).

No worries, I did reply to each of these posts but for some reason they are not showing up! (unless this one did by chance).

Edit: Sure enough it did show up. It kept saying things about awaiting / pending moderation, but never showed up.
But yes there is definitely the acoustic knocking noise on that Seagate drive. I wonder where Seagate went wrong... I would never touch a modern day Seagate drive!
And just so everyone know that the CD-200 is working a charm installing Windows 95 right now.
I did pick up a couple of XTIDE cards for my TeraDrive machines. Here's hoping it works! :D
Here's a video of the CD-ROM functioning.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with my issues!

Last edited:
one bit of additional device for people finding this thread trying to get the drive working:

The default I/O address of the MKE/panasonic interface on some SB cards conflicts with some (secondary) IDE controllers, so change it and try again. This is something I learned when these were new and have since had to use many times.

That explains why I had no issues (well apart from the ones above) - My Osborne only has one IDE channel! :D
Thanks for the tip, might come in handy if I ever need to migrate it over to another slightly more modern machine :D

Back