• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cx387DLC

jh1523

Experienced Member
I've found very little information about this chip; it's a 387-class coprocessor, there are pictures of it here and there but no real information, e.g. how it is different from the Cyrix FasMath 83D87 or 387+

I'm asking this because I'm refreshing/rebuilding a 386DX system, and I have the choice of buying either a regular FasMath or a 387DLC and need help choosing.

That's odd. I've heard of the 487DLC and 387DX+, but the 387DLC is a new one to me. I would be willing to bed it's just a re-badged second generation Fasmath. Cyrix had a tendency to change the name according to marketing region. You should check with CPU-World. Maybe you have a rare chip.

Oop my bad.. I meant of course 487DLC. No such thing as 387DLC to my knowledge. :)

Still can't find much info about the 487DLC.

I though it was just the 83D87 with a special label to allow Cyrix to market a complete 486 solution including FPU to various OEMs. The 487DLC was not available at retail.

83D87 (black top), 387DX+ and 487DLC are all identical except for the branding.

Hm, reading between the lines here it may be that the 487DLC is in fact a rebranded 387+ - the rebranding likely happening after that article was written; the 387+ being a later, cheaper to manufacture and slower version of the 83D87. The article mentions that at one point Cyrix was selling the combo 486DLC/387+ kits. Other (later) sources mention a similar 486DLC/487DLC being sold at another time. This is all speculation of my part.

We'll see, soon I'll have both a 487DLC and a regular fasMath and I'll probably submit them to some tests. :)

Back