• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Pacific Northwest Data General NOVA 4

Covers: Oregon and Washington

nova4napa

Delivery Options
Local Pickup Only
Data General NOVA 4 for sale. This was a TAMS system from NAPA that was used for auto parts sales. Included is a Racal-Vadic VA3455 modem with manual, spec sheets from Data General on the build, data reels, and lots of cables. It was well used and is dusty. I assume it is operable but have no way to check. Built in 1981. I may be able to answer additional questions but this is basically all I know.

Located in Enterprise, Oregon. We will not ship - you must pick it up here at the store. It probably weighs at least 300 lbs.

Asking $1500.00 cash. Thank you for looking.

NOVA 1.jpgNOVA 2.jpgNOVA 3.jpgNOVA 4.jpgNOVA 5 (1).jpgNOVA 6 (1).jpgNOVA 7.jpgNOVA 8.jpgNOVA 9.jpgNOVA 10.jpg

Heh, back in the day, I used a couple of those VA 3455s. Good modems for the time. I believe they support a proprietary higher-speed data rate (2000 baud?) when talking to each other. Too many years ago to remember. They use a rather large wall-wart power supply.

Heh, back in the day, I used a couple of those VA 3455s. Good modems for the time. I believe they support a proprietary higher-speed data rate (2000 baud?) when talking to each other. Too many years ago to remember. They use a rather large wall-wart power supply.
I think they were 4 wire 2400 baud. Some of the modems you could cross wire the 2 send and receive pairs and test connections locally. The 2 wire half duplex I think wouldn't do that

We used these for wired timesharing customers with async terminals. They usually had terminals with a printer port, or in some cases with an a/b switch for ours. Took some trickery to pull that off.

Not what I recall--Bell 201 compatible, with a RV-RV special mode that was something like 1800-2000 baud. See here and other web cites. I would have been delirious back in the day to have 2400!

Reactions: jws
Not what I recall--Bell 201 compatible, with a RV-RV special mode that was something like 1800-2000 baud. See here and other web cites. I would have been delirious back in the day to have 2400!
One of those modems of same form factor was just power and 4 wires and 2400 baud. Went 4800 hz clock. It used a leased graded point to point line, no Bell 201 or any such. I used these as well, but don't recall where. I won't begin to quibble as it's been thankfully 40 years since I messed with them much. Used the dial up 1200 baud ones with the higher form factor and accoustic coupler on the side longer.

If you were really serious back in the day, you used Milgo rack-mount monsters on leased lines. I have used Bell 208s on said lines, 4800 bps sync. My first modem on my brand new Altair 8800 used the guts out of a Novation acoustic coupler unit--perhaps from a Silent 700?

Back